Quick Questions Regarding Closing

illtiger1

Bronze Supporter
Oct 29, 2008
Info: Gunite Pool, 1980s, 22,000 gallons, Hayward DE grid filter, Hayward Pump, live in Connecticut

1.) My skimmer has two holes, one for the skimmer/pump and the other I assume is for the drain. The drain hole will always have some water in it even when I lower the water below the returns for closing. I usually pour some antifreeze in it and stuff it with some foam to prevent freezing. Is there a better way to do this?

2.) In the outdoor pic posted below, why do I have two gates and a Jandy Valve for my two return lines? Do I push the levers down for the gates after I blow the lines? Do I turn the Jandy Valve as well to an "off" position? Not sure why I have these.

3.) Where should I add anti-freeze after blowing out the lines? I have one pipe that connects to the multi valve that splits into the two returns and a pipe that goes into the pump basket that goes to the skimmer hole. How can I add the anti-freeze and be sure it fills the pipes? If I add it into the skimmer hole, do I blow it a little with the shop vac to make sure it goes all the way through the pipe?

Thank you.

1.) My skimmer has two holes, one for the skimmer/pump and the other I assume is for the drain. The drain hole will always have some water in it even when I lower the water below the returns for closing. I usually pour some antifreeze in it and stuff it with some foam to prevent freezing. Is there a better way to do this?

I always get confused on the 2 port skimmer, but I believe it allows water back in if your water level is too low.

2.) In the outdoor pic posted below, why do I have two gates and a Jandy Valve for my two return lines? Do I push the levers down for the gates after I blow the lines? Do I turn the Jandy Valve as well to an "off" position? Not sure why I have these.

The only lines you need to close off is the Jandy Valve for the main drain to create an "air lock". Adding a rubber plug in the pump basket is never a bad idea. Hard to tell from the pictures what you are referring to. No need to close the return lines as you will be plugging them with the rubber expandable plugs when you are blowing out the lines.

3.) Where should I add anti-freeze after blowing out the lines? I have one pipe that connects to the multi valve that splits into the two returns and a pipe that goes into the pump basket that goes to the skimmer hole. How can I add the anti-freeze and be sure it fills the pipes? If I add it into the skimmer hole, do I blow it a little with the shop vac to make sure it goes all the way through the pipe?

What I would do is add Anti-Freeze (POOL Anti-Freeze) in the skimmers after you blow them out and remove most of the water. This is assuming you have lowered the water below the skimmer. The main drain can be done from the pump basket (but you need to get it in while pushing air through) and then creating "air lock". Regarding return lines, you have figure out a way to get it in there. I know my Frog/Chlorinator can be used for one side of returns, but not the other. I would have to blow anti-freeze both ways through some sort of hose

I do not use Anti-Freeze. I do not believe CT is as cold as up state NY or even Canada. If I lived in those regions, then definitely Anti-Freeze would be in the picture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.