Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae but no CC???

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae but no CC???

The weirdest thing is happening and I'm hoping someone can help. On the sides of my pool, something green-ish is showing up on the walls that comes off once we brush. I immediately assume algae so I get out my test kit and ... nothing. I get no CC when doing the drop test. I have done it multiple times!

Anyone have any idea what is going on? This is a new TF-100 test kit (bought ~April 2016) so the contents should all be fresh.

Some specifics below:

15,000 gallon salt water pool, but the salt water piece has not been creating chlorine because it is reading the salt level as too high. My salt is around 3800ppm. Trying to find a good time to dump some water, but we're in CA and the water companies do not love that. I have been using bleach to get chlorine into the pool

FC: 6.5
    CC: 0
    TA: 60
    CYA: 40-ish (too low, I know )
    CH: 1000
    pH: 7.6

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Algae but no CC???

You can have algae patches and no CCs. CCs are generated when chlorine oxidizes nitrogen containing waste (sweat, urine, etc). It can be generated from the killing of algae but it is not always the case. Sunlight (UV) can also sometimes eliminate CCs faster than they can be generated.

If you have visible algae, and you do, then you need to SLAM, period. CC's are not the criterion to look at.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Had no idea! I was always looking for CC's to indicate the issue. SLAM-ing now. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

First mistake I ever made too. CC isn't "required".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!