Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to close my pool and can't get the FC to stay..

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to close my pool and can't get the FC to stay..

Trying to get my pool closed and cannot get the FC to stay at SLAM level... Brought it to 13 FC yesterday.. 24 hours later, just tested and its at 6 FC..

CYA around 50
    PH 7.8
    FC 6
    CC under .5
    TA 100
    CH 180

Water is crystal clear.. I had an issue with FC not being able to hold and ended up having a phosphates issue.. They were over 1,000 and had algae on the bottom of the pool and cloudy water when that happened (about a month ago).. Treated and phospates were down to zero (haven't tested again)..

What should I do here?? I really wanted to get this closed.. What is eating all my FC!?

Thanks
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to close my pool and can't get the FC to stay..

Regardless WHAT is eating it------something is. Do a complete SLAM if you need to after doing an OCLT. 7 FC points in 24 hours doesn't tell us much depending on conditions with no extra FC being added in that time frame.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

FC 3.8 just 7 hours after it was 6.. Sunny day about 74*..

I'll test it in the morning but I'm guessing something is living in there.. Should I just bring it to SLAM now?
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Youngstown, OH 44514

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have the chlorine on hand, go for it! It works extra hard at night with no interference from the sun.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    If you have the chlorine on hand, go for it! It works extra hard at night with no interference from the sun.
    OK thanks.. I've never had to do this in the 3 years I've owned it.. So bring it up to 20 FC (CYA at 50) and then in the morning I should check it? I don't have any additional bleach other than what I got to bring it to 20 FC right now.. Should I still do it? Water is crystal clear and CC is under .5 currently.. But losing that much FC I definitely got something in there..

Is the idea to keep the FC at 20 until I have no loss on the OCLT?
    Youngstown, OH 44514

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup, that's the idea! Can you get up a tad early to do a morning bleach run? Or have a partner who can help in the morning?

7. Back To Top    #7

If you haven't pulled the ladder out yet go ahead and do so. Above ground pool ladders have a lot of nooks and crannies where algae can hide.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!