Hi all - I got my pool installed a couple weeks ago. I haven't shocked it, but I have added stabilizer and chlorine. Do I really need to shock it? It's nearing fall up here in MN and I don't want to lose 5 days to a SLAM when I'll be shutting it down so soon anyway.
Here's the timeline of what I've done so far. We've been swimming in it basically this whole time.
- 9/9 - Our first swim, in unheated water straight from the garden hose
- 9/14 - Heater was hooked up. Initial temp reading was 63 degrees.
- 9/16 - Pool reached 80 degrees.
- 9/19 - Added some dichlor and some liquid CYA
- 9/21 - Added more dichlor and more liquid CYA. FC level 1.6; CYA level 55.
- 9/24 (7pm) - Added a bunch of liquid chlorine to bring FC to 8.5
- 9/25 (11am) - FC is down to 6.0.
If it makes any difference, there have been lots of leaves falling in the pool this whole time, and lots of rain the past 2 days (our pool level is actually too high now for the skimmers to work, but our backwash isn't hooked up yet so I can't drain it...)
So my question is: do I really need to do a SLAM, shutting the pool down for days, or can I just get by adding liquid chlorine daily to keep the FC around 7-8?