reduced flow?

Sep 23, 2015
Austin
So, I went on vacation and left the teens in charge of the pool . All went well!

or so I thought.

I came home to a beautiful clean blue pool appropriately dosed with bleach and pH fine. They had been doing that bit just fine.

There had been a heavy rainstorm, leaves fell off trees but kiddoes had cleaned out skimmer baskets just fine. The filter basket had some stuff in it but nothing much.

However, filter pressure was on the low end of normal and although the return water jets seemed to be giving out just the same amount of water, it wasn't quite what I thought it should be.
I checked the impeller - that was free of debris. Even checked the pipe going from impeller/motor to filter and that was ok.

I had backwashed and refilled with DE just a couple of days before vacation.

However, when I remove the cover from the filter basket, the water gurgles and keeps on gurgling - this gurgling is coming from between the impeller and the filter. I opened the air valve on the filter and all the water in the filter drained back into the filter basket. Gurgling stops. I don't seem to remember hearing this gurgling when I open the filter basket before (am I right? or is that my imagination?)

The circulation in the water is not great, leaves stay on the surface and the polaris is a bit slower too. I thought one of the skimmer inlets might be blocked so to test,I have 2 skimmers, I closed each one off and observed filter pressure and water return, there was no difference between the two, so my thoughts are that the skimmer is not blocked.

Should I backwash again? take out the DE filters and hose them down? Take out the motor/impeller and look more closely? Is it the motor?

thanks for any help.

Surf,

When you removed the pump lid, you let air in the system and the gurgling you hear is water just trying to find its own level. I don't see this as a problem.

If you have low flow, the most likely cause is a dirty filter. I suggest you break the DE filter apart and clean it out. This will also give you a known starting point for winter operation.

I don't mind cleaning DE filters in the summer, but not so much in the winter. :D

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.