Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterizing pool light

I have a pool light in the shallow end of the pool and I’ve been thinking about whether or not to winterize it (first time closing pool).

How many inches of water would you consider safe for leaving it in place?

If I need to take it out, it sounds like my options are to put it on the deck and keep it covered or sink it to the bottom of the pool.

I don’t know if the cable will be long enough to keep it out from under the safety cover (obviously it won’t fit under it).

My question is - if I decide to sink it to the bottom of the pool, what should I use to weigh it down, given that whatever weighs it down will be sitting on the liner for the duration of the closing?
    In-ground (24x40) vinyl pool (~30k gallons), Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter (Model CC420P - 150 gpm), Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair MasterTemp 250 Heater. TF100 test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winterizing pool light

If you cannot leave the light on the deck because of cord length, etc. then you'll have to weigh it down. What ever you use for weight, it needs to be non-metallic. I would consider using a sandbag and poly/nylon rope. If you can make your own filled with pool sand, you will be assured that the sand doesn't contain stones that potentially have iron in them, which may leave spots on the liner. A small bag of about 5 pounds is likely enough.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    If you cannot leave the light on the deck because of cord length, etc. then you'll have to weigh it down. What ever you use for weight, it needs to be non-metallic. I would consider using a sandbag and poly/nylon rope. If you can make your own filled with pool sand, you will be assured that the sand doesn't contain stones that potentially have iron in them, which may leave spots on the liner. A small bag of about 5 pounds is likely enough.
    I have never taken out the light in 27 years of winterizing my pool. The way I view this is...if the water is going to freeze that far down in the pool, it would have to be one heck of a brutal winter that would probably result in pipes freezing and breaking in my garage.
    12,000 gallon gunite, original construction 1989, renovation 2014 using quartz plaster finish

4. Back To Top    #4

I've never done it on my deep end light either. But this specific question is for a shallow end light, that is very likely near the water level, especially if some water is drained.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

First, I NEVER have closed so I have no valuable opinion. I think this is an interesting question and want to learn from it.

My first reaction is to think the niche can freeze with no affect on the light. If ice encapsulates the light fixture itself, is there enough inward pressure to break the fixture? It doesn't seem to me there would be.

Again, my opinion is pretty worthless but I am very curious about the topic.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

How deep is this light?? I personally would sink the light if it's less than 2feet below water level as New York can experience very harsh winters. Doing this is likely an overkill but MUCH safer in the long run.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    First, I NEVER have closed so I have no valuable opinion. I think this is an interesting question and want to learn from it.

My first reaction is to think the niche can freeze with no affect on the light. If ice encapsulates the light fixture itself, is there enough inward pressure to break the fixture? It doesn't seem to me there would be.

Must be nice to not have to close the pool!!! I'd like to try that some time here in PA....lol
    12,000 gallon gunite, original construction 1989, renovation 2014 using quartz plaster finish

8. Back To Top    #8

I have Pentair Globrite and was advised that it had a "dry niche". My understanding is that lights dont seal too well, and water is always in the niche. Is there such thing as a dry niche?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Yes.

Do not tamper with them, there is no winterization mandate for that light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    Yes.

Do not tamper with them, there is no winterization mandate for that light.

Good to hear. I have some in the shallow end and was intending to lower the water. Globerites stand up to the ice?
    It would have been nice if the manual said as much.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey all - sorry for the late reply, but I do really appreciate all of your input.

Bottom of the returns is about 15", while the top of the light is about 26". Given a drain to about 4" below the return for closing, that would leave only about 7" of water above the light. In reality, by the time the water freezes, it will probably be a little more than that, but not more that 10" in any case.

duraleigh - My laziness is really tempting me to just leave it in and see what happens, but I'll probably save that "experiment" for another year.

I think I'll try to put one of those rubberized hand weights in a couple of zip lock bags and then zip tie a third zip lock back to the light to weigh the whole thing down. Sand would probably be a more elegant solution but, knowing me, I'd probably make a big mess with it all over the place.
    In-ground (24x40) vinyl pool (~30k gallons), Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter (Model CC420P - 150 gpm), Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair MasterTemp 250 Heater. TF100 test Kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would think that your light would be fine. I usually only drop my water level about 2-3" below my returns, light is probably 8 inches below that.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post

I haven't pulled a light in years... It was an old school exercise in futility..