Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about covering the pool equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about covering the pool equipment

My pool equipment (filter, heater, and pump) is all located outside at the side of the house under a cover of some trees and bushes. This has made it a bit of a pain to access them during the summer, but Im thinking it will provide some protection during the winter.

My question is - Is it recommended to get actual covers for any or all of these pieces of equipment? If so, can anyone recommend what kind of cover?

In-ground (24x40) vinyl pool (~30k gallons), Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter (Model CC420P - 150 gpm), Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair MasterTemp 250 Heater. TF100 test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about covering the pool equipment

I put my Pump in the Garage and cover all the rest of the equipment with a tarp. I also put some mouse baits in the heater as they like to make it a winter home.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a good sized grill cover that I cut a split in to go over one pipe and it covers my pump and filter. Tarps are cheap, Tie or weight them down.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

despite what all of the others have said, no I don't think it is recommended. You can do it if you want to, but make sure you have enough air movement under that tarp to prevent trapping water and creating rust problems. I don't cover my BBQ grill for the same reason. In my experience, it's held up longer without one.

20,000 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    despite what all of the others have said, no I don't think it is recommended. You can do it if you want to, but make sure you have enough air movement under that tarp to prevent trapping water and creating rust problems. I don't cover my BBQ grill for the same reason. In my experience, it's held up longer without one.
    Well after 20 years of covering the equipment i have yet to experience any rusting problems.

My #1 problem has been mice eating up the combustion chamber of the heater, which is very hard to find & cost big $'s.

I also dont cover my BBQ, but its because i use it all year round!
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

It's been suggested to me by local exterminator, to use softener sheets or oil of peppermint to stop the mice. According to him mice are allergic to whatever is in the sheets and the peppermint. Every year they make a huge nest in the motor compartment of riding lawm mower. Not since I lay a few sheets on top of motor
    POOL-24ft Above ground, Vinyl 16000 gal
    FILTER-Hayward EC-40 DE filter
    TEST KIT- Taylor -K2006
    Dolphin Robot Cleaner S50

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by EVChargeGuy View Post
    My #1 problem has been mice eating up the combustion chamber of the heater, which is very hard to find & cost big $'s.
    I saw a snake this summer underneath the heater (heater wasn't running). It seemed like he was just sleeping under it. Maybe he'd just polished off a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by arbrey View Post
    It's been suggested to me by local exterminator, to use softener sheets or oil of peppermint to stop the mice. According to him mice are allergic to whatever is in the sheets and the peppermint. Every year they make a huge nest in the motor compartment of riding lawm mower. Not since I lay a few sheets on top of motor
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking mothballs but I like your method better.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by skinpath View Post
    My pool equipment (filter, heater, and pump) is all located outside at the side of the house under a cover of some trees and bushes. This has made it a bit of a pain to access them during the summer, but I’m thinking it will provide some protection during the winter.

My question is - Is it recommended to get actual covers for any or all of these pieces of equipment? If so, can anyone recommend what kind of cover?

A few years ago I came across a guy online who custom makes covers for pool pumps and heaters, etc. So I sent him all the measurements and so forth and he made these really nice covers with velcro straps, etc. that fit well over the top of the heater and pump. He even had little cutaways in the material where the PVC line comes into the pump, so I was quite impressed with the detail.

I don't disconnect my pump and take it inside. Not that it isn't a good idea to do so, but I just don't bother with it and have never had any problems the following spring. What I like about the cover on the heater especially is that when the blizzards and snow storms come, I don't have a foot or two of snow right on the open top area of the heater where the fan is. Of course, even with the pump covered, the entire area including the filter occasionally gets completely buried under feet of snow and ice....sometimes for months at a time. Prior to finding the guy who makes the covers, I used to just cut a piece of old solid-mesh winter pool cover that I had, put it over the top of the heater, and tie pieces of twine all around the sides and across the top to hold it in place. As to how necessary it truly is to cover equipment, I really can't say.
    12,000 gallon gunite, original construction 1989, renovation 2014 using quartz plaster finish

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi all - thanks for all your suggestions, especially about the mice. I'll definitely get some of that peppermint oil or use drier sheets.

It's also good to know that if I don't get around to covering the equipment it won't spontaneously combust. It does get some cover from the surrounding trees, so it should do better than just sitting out in the open.
    In-ground (24x40) vinyl pool (~30k gallons), Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter (Model CC420P - 150 gpm), Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair MasterTemp 250 Heater. TF100 test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

My raypak manual says not to cover it.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

11. Back To Top    #11

All HVAC companies will tell you NOT to cover your outside units - for all the reasons mentioned above. It won't dry out properly and it creates a nice space for mice to hide for the winter (and wires to chew on while in hiding).

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

& when mothballs sublimate in heater - you get a residue on contacts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk