CYA Powder Buildup on Bottom of Pool

anthys

Jun 6, 2009
According to the directions on my bottle of ProTeam UV Shield Conditioner (CYA), I am supposed to spread it around the pool. I did that, but also mixed it with buckets of hot water, then put in in. The kid at the pool store said to do it that way. It's dark now, but I'm seeing areas of the pool where it's building up on the bottom. Is that going to dissolve anytime soon? If not, what do I need to do to it now? This is a brand new pool, just got done filling it up, the filter is on and working fine (knock on wood).

Some brands of CYA seem to dissolve faster than others. It can take up to a week sometimes but the stuff I added last year, can't remember what brand it was, dissolved within a few hours. We normally recommend putting it in a sock (tube sock or something like that) and tying it to the water return.

You could swish around the stuff on the bottom with your brush now and then. Don't do a filter backwash for about a week while the CYA is still dissolving or you'll wash it all out.

Is this a granular product?

You really don't want it to sit undissolved. The pump should be running until it is fully dissolved, you may want to vacume it into the filter and let it dissolve there. If you do vacume it into the filter, don't backwash it as Anna said.

Yes, it is granular. I'd say about half of it is dissolved, and I have been swishing it around with the brush. I'll be getting the vaccum out soon because there is other junk on the bottom that I need to get as well. I definitely will not do a backwash then. Thank you both for your responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.