Trouble Blowing out lines with a Shop Vac

Jun 17, 2015
New Jersey
Hi Guys - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, so I apologize for any repetition, but I appreciate any advice you can provide.

This is the first year I am closing myself, was using a 6.5hp shop vac to blow the lines....I got a pretty good seal connecting the vac with the plumbing I would say it was 98% solid very little escaping.

- My pool is a very basic set up - skimmer and main drain on one line, and 2 returns on the other.

-Starting with the returns... I started blowing them from the plumbing that was attached to the sand filter but none of the water was coming out, each time I tried to blow a little bit would come out and you couldn't feel any air coming out, I then tried to blow the line from one of the actually returns and the water started coming out from the other return, I then blew it again from the plumbing and everything was going, you started to see the water exit the lines and you could feel the air coming through.....

-I then blew the skimmer line no problem there.

-The issue is with the main drain, when blowing it I wasn't able to push any water out - there were no bubbles coming through the bottom of the pool. My pool is about 15-20k gallons, however its about 8-9ft deep by the main drain, I am thinking the shop vac just isn't enough power?

Any thoughts opinions or advice?

Correct, your shop vac doesn't generate enough pressure to blow the main drain. Do you have an air compressor? Even a small one should be able to get it done.

If so, you should be able to thread the hose right into your pump strainer basket drain holes. Reduce the pressure to 15 psi and try. You may to increase the pressure slightly, but I would not go over 25#.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.