Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Free Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Free Shock

What is the argument for Chlorine Free Shock prior to closing? I noticed the pool stores pushing this in their winterizing kits. I had intended to dump bleach into my pool to bring it up to shock level several days before closing. Is there a better way?
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 1 main drain, Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater, Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection), Lamotte ColorQ and Taylor 2006-K test kits

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine Free Shock

Here is the article on closing an inground pool. Closing an in ground pool
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

That's one of the issues we have with pool store advice who advocate products that either are not needed or not ideal for a specific pool type/situation. If you do a quick search for "chlorine free shock" here on the site, you'll see many good discussions about why it's not the most ideal product for pool owners to use. If you stick to regular bleach and the link Bob provided you'll do fine. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank-you both. I read that "closing thread" carefully. At no point does anyone refer to non-chlorine shock. My plan is to shock with bleach, and wait 3 days, or however long it takes the chlorine level to come down to 6 or 7 ppm. The night before closing day, I'll pour in the Polyquat60 and run the pump till morning with the valve on recirculate.
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 1 main drain, Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater, Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection), Lamotte ColorQ and Taylor 2006-K test kits