another pool with Algea ?

Jun 23, 2016
Gonzales, LA
Based upon the pictures, I think I am facing a similar algae problem. I'd like to ask a couple of questions about the SLAM process which I hope will be beneficial to ttran2016 as well:

1. The liquid bleach mentioned is it just your regular bottle of bleach that can be bought at any store?
  2. Do you just distribute it around the perimeter of the pool?
  3. Once the SLAM process is complete, will that lift the algae stains off the bottom and sides of the pool?

Thanks so much to everyone who contributes to this site. It's a terrific resource for newbies such as us.

That IS algae. Pictures are a wonderful way to see the day to day changes your eyes miss.

Don't worry about getting the Yellow out.....buy more bleach.

You need to do a SLAM. Here is the link:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The MORE important part of the SLAM is M as in Maintain the FC at SLAM level. The more you keep it at SLAM the faster your pool will clear. It will take quite a bit of bleach but once you get the pool clear you will be on easy street.

Keep taking and sharing pics. so we can watch it clear with you.

:kim:

Please take a picture of your pool so we can see what you are dealing with. That allows us to keep up with your progress.

Answers to your questions:

1-yes bleach you can buy at walmart. It needs to be plain bleach, no scents, easy pour, etc. You can also use chlorine if you have a pool store that sells it in your area. They are the same thing.

2. We say to pour in front of the return with the pump running. Pour it slowly and let the water mix it in.

3. It is hard to say if this will help with the stains. Pictures will help us see what you are dealing with.

Hi dmccoyTFP, you can find bleach on Walmart but they are all "concentrated", dont know we can use it or not, so I skip the bleach and use liquid chlorine at local Home Depot, 2 bottles, one gallon each for about $7.

- - - Updated - - -

I think there is something wrong with the uploading because I try to upload my pictures many time today and it's just stuck

I would be careful using any Liquid chlorine from Lowes or Home Depot. I say this only because the chlorine at the those stores near me must be about 100 years old. Unless you know it is fresh, you are just wasting your money.

Concentrated bleach is fine.. you just don't want "splash-less" or "scented".. You also want to make sure the % is labeled on the bottle. Usually 8.25%. If not labeled, don't buy it.

In some states, 12% Liquid Chlorine is sold by pool stores and sometimes at a very good price, so worth checking.

Jim R.

We had one member that bought quite a bit of chlorine from Home Depot. She added and added and added but it never did show on her FC test. It turned out the chlorine has been there so long it had degraded to just water. She learned about date codes. The chlorine was close to 2 years old :shock:

She has her receipt and was able to get her money back. The store did end up pulling all of the old stuff from the shelves.

Best to just get good ole bleach from Walmart. Get the store brand. Like said above do NOT get the scented or easy pour. Just plain bleach. It should be 8% or so.

My Ace Hardward store has liquid chlorine that is said to be 11% but when it is a fresh batch it is higher LOL. I got 4 of their reusable jugs and life is good.

Welcome aboard.
The first link is the one i use. 121oz. 8.25%
No creamy, no scented, no easy pour.
I usually grab about 7 per trip.
Use 90oz. a day in summer time.
So that gets me through about 10 days or so.
As weather cools, i'll use less per day.
If you're gonna SLAM, I'd get 15 or so to get you started and keep you supplied for a whille during the SLAM.

keep us updated.

post a few pics, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.