Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I adjust TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I adjust TA?

Gradually over the season my TA has dropped from 70 to 50 due to dilution from rain (had to pump out excess water on several occasions this season; not unusual for here). As usual, pH has remained very stable, 7.4-7.5, the entire season without having to add any MA.

Is there any reason I would need to adjust TA back up to 70? Or just leave it where it is?

Thanks.

Edit: if it matters, borate is at about 40ppm per today's test.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I adjust TA?

Leave it at 50 and do a happy dance. The only reason to raise TA is if your pH has wild spikes up or down. 50 is fine for lots of pools. 40 is often too low. Your pH will tell you if you need to adjust TA. If pH gets jumpy raise TA 10 with baking soda.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Leave it at 50 and do a happy dance. The only reason to raise TA is if your pH has wild spikes up or down. 50 is fine for lots of pools. 40 is often too low. Your pH will tell you if you need to adjust TA. If pH gets jumpy raise TA 10 with baking soda.
    Thanks. I was thinking TA is fine as long as pH is stable.

That brings up another question I have about TA and testing frequency. It's normal for my pool's pH to stay stable at 7.4-7.5 all season without having to add acid. Even so, I test TA once a month to see where it is. If pH is stable, is there still a reason to test TA on any regular basis?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it's still good to test all items at some point, even if we do stretch the frequency out a bit. One reason is new fill water. Many of us have water that has an elevated alkalinity content, so it's natural that with evaporation over time, and constant refills to the pool, that TA could creep-up on us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I figured I'd give an update......

pH started dropping so I adjusted pH and TA back up to where they normally are (pH 7.5, TA 70). So apparently TA of 50 is a little low for my pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good!