Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stubborn acid levels

1. Back To Top    #1

stubborn acid levels

I am beating my head against a wall here. All summer I have been battling high PH and alkalinity in the pool. I have dumped enough acid in to bring both down to level and within a short period of time - both are high again. We have a spill over spa and a waterfall. I have turned off the waterfall thinking that this was the source of the increase in PH, but it has made no difference. Because of the heat in Florida - I even tested the hose water and the ph is so low I can't even get a good reading - so I know it isn't there. Here are today's readings
    TC = 5
    CC = 0.5
    CYA = 90
    PH = 8.0+ (10 days ago I added a gallon of muriatic acid and the following day it was 7.4
    TA = 110 (testing the day after adding the muriatic acid from above - 80)
    CH - 300

This has been going on since I took over the pool maintenance last spring. I am usually having to adjust this every few days - It has been ten days because we were out of town. I can't believe how much muriatic acid I have gone through this summer. The pool is not used very regularly - only when kids and grands come about once a month - and the spa is used probably equivalent to once a week. The pump runs 3 hours per day in the late afternoon and the SWG is at 60%.
    What can be causing this constant rise in PH and alkalinity?

Thank you!
    Built 2007, IG 15,00 gal free form, marcite, with spa and synthetic rock waterfall. Hayward 2.5hp single speed, pump and SWG cell. Cartridge filters - Pleatco. Jandy gas heater. Zodiac barracuda vac. Screened enclosure.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: stubborn acid levels

So you are saying the pH of your fill is VERY low? unusual.

Turn off both the spillover spa and the water fall and lower your TA down to around 60 ppm. I believe that will make a difference.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes the full water ph is low. Over the past 10 days there is been no fill water added. And hadn't been added for about four days prior to the last adjustment. We have been out of town so no fill water added while we were gone. I just tested it again this morning. PH is showing about 7.0 and total alkalinity at about 80. This is a deep water well. I will try to lower the TA againwith another gallon of acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, TA down around 60 will help a lot. Any water feature aeration will cause pH to rise. What color is the pH test when you test the tap water? Are you on a well?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, on a deep well. Using Taylor 2006K test kit. Barely matches the 7.0 color level.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, just wanted to make sure it was a color on the lower end and not the higher end. Acidic water in FL is unusual.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I will try to lower the TA againwith another gallon of acid.
    Acid alone will not make the adjustment you need. Read the article in Pool School on permanently lowering TA
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School