Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?

Pool came with new house. Seller was an investor who never lived in the house and didn't maintain the pool (renters did), so I don't know the pool history. Is this a return that's been capped off? We only have 2 returns, so a 3rd could really be beneficial for circulation in this big pool. Is there any risk to taking the plug out? What are possible reasons they capped it? What else could it be besides a return?

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    41K gal, IG, vinyl, Hayward Pro Series sand filter (model S244T), Hayward Super Pump, Hayward chlorine feeder, TF-100, Dolphin M400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?

Mama,

I would suspect an unused vacuum port. They normally have a flapper like cap, but it could have broken and was just replaced with a plug.

Could also be a unused return, but then the only reason to plug it would be due to a leak, and plugging just one end would not solve anything.

If you can add a picture of your equipment pad, showing the valves and surrounding equipment, you might get a better answer.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

3. Back To Top    #3

Best odds are that it is NOT a return due to the location on the stairs and the cap. There would be no good reason to cap 1 of 3 returns.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Mama,
    If you can add a picture of your equipment pad, showing the valves and surrounding equipment, you might get a better answer.

Jim R.
    Let me know if you need more pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

In my equipment pictures, can you see the electrical "station?" The switch under the outlet is for the pump, but we have no idea what the switch on the other side is for. Any ideas about that? We have two pool lights, but they don't work, so we aren't sure if that's what the switch is for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    41K gal, IG, vinyl, Hayward Pro Series sand filter (model S244T), Hayward Super Pump, Hayward chlorine feeder, TF-100, Dolphin M400

5. Back To Top    #5

looks like you have 3 scution lines from the pool to the pump. 1) Skimmer 2) main drain and 3) ? could be a port for a suction side cleaner?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    looks like you have 3 scution lines from the pool to the pump. 1) Skimmer 2) main drain and 3) ? could be a port for a suction side cleaner?
    someone labeled them: deep end skimmer, shallow skimmer and main drain.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ah ok. So its not a suction cleaner port. hummmm? I wonder what it could be....
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you have two skimmers?

I see no reason not to take the plug out and see what happens. There should either be suction there, or pressure.. if nothing, I'd stick the plug back in.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are two skimmers. I will take the plug out and see what happens.

Thank you!

10. Back To Top    #10

Update...it IS a functioning return!! So exciting!

11. Back To Top    #11

It's a step return. Typically, there is a separate line going to the step returns. Step returns are sometimes called step jets because some people install hydrotherapy jets there so that people can sit on the steps and get jet action like in a hot tub (That's the intent anyway. They rarely, if ever get used like that).

Don't know why it was plugged or why it doesn't have its own plumbing line.

The extra switch probably goes to the lights. You can open the lights junction boxes to see if power is getting to the lights.

12. Back To Top    #12

I bet it used to have a circulating return. They are often found on pool steps.
    Custom Molded Products Deluxe Rotating Massage Jet - Gray - 23315-031-000 - INYOPools.com

Keep an eye out (just in case) for any lowering of water level in the pool just in case there was a leak issue.

13. Back To Top    #13

Did water start coming out as soon as you removed the plug?

If the line was getting return water pressure the whole time, then the pool would have been losing water if the line leaked.

14. Back To Top    #14

Water came out immediately...is that good or bad?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand this whole leaking issue, and that worries me.

15. Back To Top    #15

Mama,

I would not be too worried about a leak. Since this is a pressure pipe, plugging the end would not stop a leak, so there must have been another reason to close it off.

I'd add an eyeball and use it..

Jim R.

16. Back To Top    #16

I agree with Jim. Water coming out immediately is good. That means the line was pressurized and full of water so if the pool wasn't leaking before then it isn't leaking now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

check the pressure in the other 2 returns, perhaps they capped it so that they could get more force on the other 2. We have 4 returns but only 3 really worked until we made the PB install eyelets and now they all shoot out water.
    11k vinyl in ground pool with SWG, DE filter, gas heater & auto cover.