Pool closing for winter, first timer

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
So this was the first summer with the pool which was great and all but now comes the dreadful time of the year where the cold rolls in. Located in Eastern Canada you can imagine we can our share of snow and cold.

I've been reading and find mixed information on pool closing;

Some stating water level below skimmer, some say leave it. Then some say to also put something in the pool like a tire? What's the deal with that?

My plan was to lower the level below the skimmer, unhook the return line and pump and store in shed so the lines won't be outside. Drain the sand filter and leave it outside covered. I do have a winter cover for the pool as well.

Can someone tell me am I missing something or more specific procedures?

Can you add your pool details in your signature? Closing procedures vary based on the type of pool.

Pool School - Getting Started

Please put the city and state in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

•The size of your pool in gallons
•If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
•If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
•The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
•If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
•Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
•What kind/model of water test kit you are using
•Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
•Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

So my pool is a 21' Above Ground. I believe its approximately 44,000 liters of water. I live in Eastern Canada, lots of snow and cold.

It was installed this summer (2016) the structure was used, but I installed a whole new liner for it. Filter is a Hayward Sand Filter S-180, Pump is a 1HP (I believe) also Hayward.

I filled the pool using my water hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.