Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pre-disolving CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre-disolving CYA

Tried something new, put cya in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with water, 6 hours later there is still a bunch at the bottom. Also this stuff never seems to disolve 100%. I can still see tiny little particles floating in the water. So when is it considered 100% disolved so i can pour into the pool?
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pre-disolving CYA

It never will, that is why we do not recommend that method and suggest putting it in a sock and suspending it in front of a return jet or putting the sock in the skimmer. It needs water flow, and frequent squeezing to get it to dissolve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pour it on in and just circulate it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok so this bucket of cya isa bust? I have more i can use, i have doen the sock method, just thought i would try this out.

Most is disolved. So its either stir it and dump it or down the drain and then back to the sock.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

5. Back To Top    #5

As Woodyp said, just pour it in and circulate. It hasn't gone bad or anything; just not very soluble in a relatively small volume of water, as you found. If you search the forum, you'll find that a number of people have tried pre-dissolving CYA. Even in hot water it isn't a great success.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, pour it in and dont clean your filter for a week.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    Tried something new, put cya in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with water, 6 hours later there is still a bunch at the bottom. Also this stuff never seems to disolve 100%. I can still see tiny little particles floating in the water. So when is it considered 100% disolved so i can pour into the pool?
    You have what is known as a "saturated solution". You may be successful with a larger bucket, unless the undissolved is not really cyn but some undissolved contaminant. You could see the same thing with a glass of water and trying to dissolve sugar or salt.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thx, got it handled, poured the disolved liquid in, then the sock method for the remaining, that was not fun. So much for trying something new, lol

9. Back To Top    #9

I have to say that I know where this method has worked. They hung the CYA in a sock in the bucket so they could still squeeze the sock. Then, periodically, they would scoop out the solution and add it to the pool. Then add more water to the bucket, etc. until it was all dissolved.