Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build in Dallas - DIY, BYOP or Hire

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build in Dallas - DIY, BYOP or Hire

Getting ready to start on a pool in the Dallas area and debating on whether to DIY, go through Build Your Own Pool or try and find someone who can help out (I have heard there are guys in the area who will basically GC but I would need to do most of the legwork. Only problem is, not sure where to find them). I work out of the house so meeting subs is not a problem. Have read mixed reviews on BYOP (mainly the price they charge) so looking for suggestions. Already know the design we want. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build in Dallas - DIY, BYOP or Hire

Just as a follow up, the reason we are looking to go this route is because quotes have been coming in a little higher than expected. Had a couple PB's come out already. Below are pics and specs. The barn is already in place
    pool2.jpgpool1.jpg
    Perimeter - 386
    Size - 15' x 30'
    Appx gallons - 12,303 (3',5', 4')
    Spa - 28 foot perimeter, 49 sq. feet, 720 gallons
    Filter Pump - 2.0 HP Jandy
    Cleaner pump - PB4-60
    Filter - 460 sq ft Jandy cartridge filter
    Controller - Aqualink w/ PDA
    Sanitizer 1 - Chlorine feeder
    Sanitizer 2 - UV Sterilizer (after reading a lot of posts here, I'm thinking no on this)
    Lights - 500 and 100 watt wight light
    Autofil unit - Pool Miser Autofil
    Cleaner - Polaris 3900 w/ pump
    Heater - Zodiac Propane JXI QT Blower (house is on propane)
    Blower - 1 1/2 HP Polaris QT Blower
    Steel - #4 rebar 10"ocew

Any thing we may be able to save a few dollars on? As I mentioned, I think no go on the UV

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely punt the UV sterilizer and I would punt the trichlor puck feeder. We saved $20k-ish by deleting the spa and buying a standalone hot tub for under $6k. A stand alone tub is more comfortable, more energy efficient, covered, always hot and we put ours on a covered patio so we can hot tub in rain/snow, whatever. And it is a lot closer to the back door. It also simplifies your pool plumbing significantly.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Been thinking about that. Appreciate the input. Great looking pool, BTW.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey Jmoore where are you located in DFW? I am also going to do an O/B about an hour east of Dallas and I have already received several bids and they all are from DFW. If you would like the subs contact info send me a PM.

6. Back To Top    #6

bump