Chlorinating while on vacation

I recently bought a house with a 15,000 gallon in ground pool. Not knowing anything about pools until I stumbled on TFP, I was going to Leslies and following their advice. I was chlorinating with Trichlor in a floater. I went on vacation in June and had no one to care for the pool. I was told by Leslies to heavily shock while I was away to keep the chlorine level high enough to avoid algae growth. I followed Leslies advice and dumped 4 bags of their shock (Dichlor) in. Needless to say, my CYA level has gone from 40 to 100 over the past few months while following Leslies advice. I am going out of town for 2 weeks and don't want to make the same mistake. Should I use a floater with Trichlor while I'm gone or do I pour a large amount of liquid and hope it lasts until I'm home. If the chlorine is the way to go, is there an amount to put in for that 2 week period that will last. I live in Southern California so the weather is always a challenge. It could be 100 degrees or it could be 75 degrees. Thank you all for your assistance

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no way to maintain adequate FC levels for 2 weeks unattended unless you have a SWG or a stenner pump or a Liquidator or get a friend/family member to add bleach occasionally.

Using more Trichlor is also going to raise the CYA, just like the shock did.