Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinating while on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Jurupa Valley, Ca

Chlorinating while on vacation

I recently bought a house with a 15,000 gallon in ground pool. Not knowing anything about pools until I stumbled on TFP, I was going to Leslies and following their advice. I was chlorinating with Trichlor in a floater. I went on vacation in June and had no one to care for the pool. I was told by Leslies to heavily shock while I was away to keep the chlorine level high enough to avoid algae growth. I followed Leslies advice and dumped 4 bags of their shock (Dichlor) in. Needless to say, my CYA level has gone from 40 to 100 over the past few months while following Leslies advice. I am going out of town for 2 weeks and don't want to make the same mistake. Should I use a floater with Trichlor while I'm gone or do I pour a large amount of liquid and hope it lasts until I'm home. If the chlorine is the way to go, is there an amount to put in for that 2 week period that will last. I live in Southern California so the weather is always a challenge. It could be 100 degrees or it could be 75 degrees. Thank you all for your assistance
    15,000 gallon in ground pool. Pentair 1 1/2 hp variable speed pump. Pentair 420 sq ft cartridge filter. Sandscape finish. Barracuda auto pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Magnolia, TX

Re: Chlorinating while on vacation

You have to either use a stenner or liquidator.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mid Missouri

Seems like there should be a cheaper option than a $200 product.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no way to maintain adequate FC levels for 2 weeks unattended unless you have a SWG or a stenner pump or a Liquidator or get a friend/family member to add bleach occasionally.

Using more Trichlor is also going to raise the CYA, just like the shock did.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!