Why should we drain the water level to 6" below skimmer for pool closing?

Hello everybody.
I read the instructions on pool closing about lowering the water level to 6" below the lowest opening. I have heard conflicting advice on this step for years.
If I drain it that low, that means I will need to put in that much more water next spring. And my well provides hard water, so I would have to go through those exercises to remove the hardness.
I have a skimmer plate that keeps the water separated from the skimmer, and also the plug for the eye.
I have never lowered it that much except to replace the skimmer one summer.
Can you explain the rationale for this step?
Thank you!

Hello everybody.
I read the instructions on pool closing about lowering the water level to 6" below the lowest opening. I have heard conflicting advice on this step for years.
If I drain it that low, that means I will need to put in that much more water next spring. And my well provides hard water, so I would have to go through those exercises to remove the hardness.
I have a skimmer plate that keeps the water separated from the skimmer, and also the plug for the eye.
I have never lowered it that much except to replace the skimmer one summer.
Can you explain the rationale for this step?
Thank you!

You don't need to drain below the skimmer and even if you do heavy rain / snow melt may fill it back up so you need to properly winterize no matter what you do. I leave my water right at the skimmer level. You just need to make sure you blow out all of the returns and the skimmer line and then put in something to absorb any ice expansion in the skimmer. Many people (including me) will pour some anti-freeze down the skimmer line and then cram the empty jug into the skimmer around the gizmo.

That's all i have ever done and have never had an issue. For what it's worth the diver who found the hole(s) in my liner two years ago had just come from a pool that had not been winterized at all (2 years ago was a brutally cold winter) and not one of the lines had cracked or had any issues. I'm not advocating that by any means but it just illustrates how tough that plastic can be (think of plastic ice trays).

With a cover for the skimmer opening and a plug for the return you don't need to lower the water. I have and aquador cover and plug my return and don't lower. You will need to keep an eye on the water on top of your cover. as long as you can leave the bottom of the skimmer open and all water will drain out, your ok. you might want to put something in to absorb the effects of water freezing in it. ( noodles, old 20 oz soda bottle, etc)

Thank you all for your advice.
It is a good point that snow and rain will displace the water under the cover. (I do try to keep the snow off, and I do drain the water on top).
I use the Aquador brand cover over the skimmer entrance as well.
And all the hoses and the filter parts go into the basement.

(I am very impressed with the number of folks replying, it is very helpful to have these conversations).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.