Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there such a thing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there such a thing?

Is there such a device that will capture the heat generated by a homes central heat/air condenser and transfer that heat to the pool? Seems like if you could use the pool water to cool the outside condenser coil when the house air conditioner is running that would essentially be free heat since it is dissipating it to the outside air anyway.
    Vinyl, 20' X 44' in-ground, 35,000 gallons, Inteliflo VS 3HP, Triton TR-100 w/ activate, MasterTemp 400,000K LP, Dolphin Supreme M500, Hydramatic Hydraulic Auto Cover, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there such a thing?

Yes, I have seen one
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    Is there such a device that will capture the heat generated by a homes central heat/air condenser and transfer that heat to the pool? Seems like if you could use the pool water to cool the outside condenser coil when the house air conditioner is running that would essentially be free heat since it is dissipating it to the outside air anyway.
    I found this with a Google search:
    http://www.hotspotenergy.com/pool-heater/

The idea seems great, but I need my pool heated in the spring & fall, when the AC is not running.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I found this with a Google search:
    http://www.hotspotenergy.com/pool-heater/

The idea seems great, but I need my pool heated in the spring & fall, when the AC is not running.

I have a LP heater, but thought if I could capture some of this lost energy I would.
    Vinyl, 20' X 44' in-ground, 35,000 gallons, Inteliflo VS 3HP, Triton TR-100 w/ activate, MasterTemp 400,000K LP, Dolphin Supreme M500, Hydramatic Hydraulic Auto Cover, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not to mention, when you calculate the btu's transferred into your pool, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink rs -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd (1.82oz/min)

6. Back To Top    #6

Seems to me that your AC unit would generally be on when its hot outside, and you generally don't need to heat your pool when its hot outside.

Almost seems like it is backwards from what you really need.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Dead of summer, yes, don't need heat. But like right now, pools is a little cool and A/C is still in use.

8. Back To Top    #8

The arguments against this seem similar to if someone said "solar heating is silly. If the sun is already out, why do you need to heat your pool?"

It has been around 80 degrees for a high in my area recently. Zapped the heat from the pool, even with a solar cover, but my house still heats up enough to use the A/C a fair amount. So this could work for my situation.

Having said that, I think I'd prefer solar. It would be available as a heat source more often.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    Not only clever, but dead on the money.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Water source/geothermal heat pumps are very common, but usually have copper & steel condensers - not sure how one would hold up to pool water. Also, once you need heat, they would do the opposite of what you are after.

Dehumidifier units for commercial indoor pools work this way, and can cool or dehumidify with refrigeration, rejecting that heat back into the pool via an independent water circuit and pump. Pretty specialized, and expensive equipement, though.
    desert-aire.com

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

This questions seems to be asked about once a month. Short and to the point, NO! Invest in solar, heat pump, or a gas heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

12. Back To Top    #12

A lot will depend on your climate, if you have hot days and cool nights this may be a good thing, but if you live in a place where the night time lows are not all that cool it may be a different matter.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Just a quick look at the numbers that I used, because it's hot here and I don't like the idea of waste.

My AC is a 5 ton unit so theoretically if it was running 100% duty cycle it would transfer at best 60k btu into the pool. Given that a 20k gallon pool requires 160k btu to bump the temp one degree ignoring all other effects, it would take about three hours of the AC running non stop to raise the temperature a degree. Now in reality, even on 100+ degree days, my AC runs about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time so it would take 6-9 hours for a single degree. My solar easily puts 120-160k btu an hour from my calculations when it is hot outside for a similar cost.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink rs -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd (1.82oz/min)

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Most questions get asked here about 3 times a day... "My green pool," etc. Why so emotional about this one...
    When you need the heat the most is when you aren't using your AC. Plus when you do use your AC it is not running for hours on end straight. You need it to run for hours straight to provide any type of heat out of it. Plus the heat coming from the AC unit isn't very many BTU's.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

15. Back To Top    #15

We have a 5 ton ground source geothermal heat pump with 5 250' deep wells that was originally installed in 1991. We replaced the unit last february because it was worn out. I spent quite a bit of time researching and talking to folks about diverting heat to the pool instead of to the wells. There are lots of geo-folks using ponds as their ground source instead of wells and they can absorb a lot of heat and never change the pond water temp.

I just looked at my system and the entering water temp is 80 and the leaving water temp is 89. It only runs a few times per hour and a few minutes per cycle. It could never move the needle on heating my pool.

Bottom line, the few people I found who had experimented with this gave up early. If it worked then it would be out there already. There is a reason why people sell pool heat pumps, gas heaters and solar panels and not something to tie in to your home hvac.

I think you would get a lot more bang for a lot less bucks by using a solar cover.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Good info, sounds like propane heater and solar is the way to go. For a 36,000 gallon pool, how big is space would I need to set up a solar array on?

17. Back To Top    #17

My panels are under a tree but it is strategically pruned and most of my panels have sun most of the day. All panels are full sun from 2 or 3 to sunset. Half of the pool square footage is a general starting place for solar square footage. My solar is 240sf and my pool is about 700sf and it adds a lot of heat to my pool. If you have a good south or west facing roof any amount of solar panels will add heat to your pool.

I bought my Vortex panels from solardirect.com, they have some pretty good info and sizing help. Vortex is a private label brand of Techno-Solis panels.

There are pics of my solar in the link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

I'll check that out. Thanks