Equipment check And how to remotely control Deck Jets?

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
18' x 36' rectangle - 6' deep end - roughly 22,000 gal

Hayward 1.5 hp Super Pump
Hayward 325 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
Aqua Comfort Heat Pump 110,000 btu
Hayward Chlorinator
4 deck jets - individually plumbed
X-stream slide

2 skimmers
2 returns
2x Color logic light - on straight wall facing away from house

2" schedule 40 flex plumbing

Equipment will sit about 10' higher than pool edge and 40' away.

Also, how can I control the deck jets remotely? And can they be individually controlled (turn 1 on or turn all 4 on)?

Vec,

In order to control them individually, each deck jet will need to have its own valve. If done manually, then a ball valve would work and are used a lot by pool builders. But to control them automatically, each one would have to have a Jandy Style valve and an actuator. Without an automation system, you could kluge together a 24 VAC transformer and some double pole switches to power the actuators. That said, I'm not sure it makes sense. I suspect you looking to remotely control the amount of water coming out of each deck jet, so you can turn the stream up or down. All automation will do for you is to turn it on or off.

edit.. Also, I recommend you change the pump to a Variable Speed or Two speed pump. I single speed pump just makes the electric company more money.. :)

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

I will ask my PB about a variable speed pump. Should I still use a 1.5hp pump or will a smaller VS pump work better?

The deck jets are each going to have a ball valve so I can manually set the desired height / flow. Perhaps what I was looking for is too complicated. I would be satisfied if there was a way to turn on the flow to those 4 ball valves. And it can be something as simple as a light switch. I just don't want to have to walk over to the equipment pad every time I want the jets on.

Is there a valve out there that I can turn on with a light switch?

Something like this....

zcEvgywfOEWbiXXPE_78E6edH1f5g6usb3d-EAE0pkd1OCHsWQi1c2FrU4ChDnWaUUyxxOVMNcUvZm876BZS0UMJLhi4jdXENVBrc8Rvyh-1z-g-7q7amPT5DX5ISq3NjPXw4VjOrVCrL5JUOvJIVZp1kcDZcmC5v0S_VhgnZ9tHYtzijHXBur8iiUoRqg615COhfWmmRKs9HgO4ke7nyJyjsSBUuVRwODdzNj1KrEjIBLeAeykbSktMYAStAjPaYRmTo2SxeV3YEOOgIftUW0ZNJKIlbA2IOoy9p2wzamn1a-bMzB0DGKfiMHXmJtxNN-nhAIReAlBofBl5uITYGGk2vnDyT9GNa_tebH72PUx07DArBj_2gIImxVfo3pkps4gSQ8OG496xz2CBSRymUfljf202bdCYp4NNFj2Yls4eTT8mrScelnx4tpaQW78fxyefMrORmR6QsPfAeSbiviDIiC9pDzC5Z2eA__NNMoZebnueOGfuTKCjUFcIZzbn0O-lmgTMI3JLaue-s5P2ApAcC6AzuXswb49pe4qKLDdqjqqEgnNXWjyA5TqB4y2J7urDRWZWXwH2BNloY-t_32OvBjy628xbUN6m3goGW0TQW0qx9g=w552-h355-no

I am not familiar with any pool valve that uses household 115 VAC.

Based on your drawing, you'd only need one Jandy valve and an actuator. Or maybe a 2" sprinkler valve. Either way you will need 24 VAC to make them work. You could use a low voltage switch, inside the house, to control valve.

I would not go lower than 1.5 HP. With a VS pump, you want to have the ability to chose what HP (speed) you want so you can set it just right for your pool. You can run very slow for circulation and then faster when you want your jets to work best..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.