Winterizing Pentair GloBrite Lights

May 30, 2014
Toronto
I have an 12 x 24 vinyl pool installed in 2014 located in Ontario, Canada (cold winters) and the first two closing were done by the pool installers, but I am researching the closing procedure to do myself.

The one issue that I am uncertain about is the Pentair Globrite lights (x2). I have read that if they are in the ice layer zone, that they should be taken out and sunk or put on the deck.

My concern is that sine these are not serviceable lights the Pentair install instructions do not call for slack > 6 inches at the junction box to allow for installation.

The other crazy thing, is that unlike every other piece of pool equipment I own the manual says nothing about winterizing the Globrites.

From what I recall of the pool guy's closing last year, they took the water down below the returns. The Globrites are only 5-6 inches below the returns so that would put them in the ice freeze zone.

I am sure when I ask the pool guy, I am 99% certain that they simply left the globrites in place.

Additionally, I did not pump the water off the cover, so come spring the water level on top of the cover were just below the skimmer. I didn't know I was supposed to pump off the water.

Questions,

1. I want to confirm that the Pentair Globrites and the 100 foot cord that they come with are one piece and not detachable?

2. If yes to 1, what should I do to winterize the Globrites?

EDIT:
I called and spoke to Pentair Tech Support and they were adamant that you leave the lights in place and not to worry about ice damage because it is a "dry niche".

I called and spoke to my Pool Dealer and they said that they sink all their lights.

More confused now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.