Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Decision - S7M400 System 3 Mod Media In Ground Pool - Colorado

1. Back To Top    #1

Grand Junction

Filter Decision - S7M400 System 3 Mod Media In Ground Pool - Colorado

Our pool is 32 years old. We have a Hayward S-200 Sand Filter that is ready to be replaced. I have the opportunity to get a used (2 seasons ) Pent Air - S7M400 System 3 for next to nothing.
    It looks to be in great shape. The big question is, does anyone use this type of filter currently or has converted from sand to the cartridge system?
    Our pool is 15 x 33, in ground, vinyl liner. Deepest part is 8' 5". I've had a few people whisper in my ear that going to the cartridge system isn't the way to go.
    I've searched pretty hard online for reviews and I'm not finding enough data to make this decision. We have a 3/4 horse pump and next season plan on putting some solar up on our roof.
    How big of a pump should I bump up to based on my pool size? 20,000 Gallons.
    Please help.
    I really want to know what I'm potentially getting myself into before we make this change. We don't use a pool company.
    I have been elected the pool boy for my 79 year old mother's pool.

Thanks for any and all insight.
    ColoradoScreen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.03.42 PM.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Filter Decision - S7M400 System 3 Mod Media In Ground Pool - Colorado

Pentair is a reliable brand and if the filter is in good condition, it could be worth it. Check out the articles here on filters: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison There are advantages and disadvantages to all types of filters. If water is expensive or you'd like to conserve water, cartridge filters are much better than sand filters. Sand filters offer convenience and ease of use in trade for more water usage. Filtration is much finer in cartridge filters as well but cleaning is more labor intensive, depending on how well you consistently maintain water chemistry. Replacing cartridges can also be expensive, but expense can be minimized if you properly maintain them and your water.

I don't believe you'd need to upsize your pump at all, even with adding solar heating. However, that may depend on how high the panels are going and how far they are from the pumping station. If we can get a better idea of your likely head loss with more details about solar placement, that might help.

Adding those details you provided in this post to your forum signature will also help folks answer your future questions more easily.

Edit Signature
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons