Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The rain effect

1. Back To Top    #1

The rain effect

My wife left the pool cover off in a heavy rain. It added about 2 inches to the pool level. While the water is clear, FC 5.5, CC 0, and everything seems nice and clear, the water just doesn't have that "sparkle" it did before the rain. It used to look really crisp and now it seems a bit dulled. This is so subjective because everything measures perfect and looks right. I cannot measure the "sparkle" or crispness of the water, so I just cannot describe it. The only thing I can think of to get that sparkle back is to shock my pool to 20ppm FC, which is how I got it the last time. Any thoughts on this?
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

2. Back To Top    #2
    Filter. The rain usually carries some dirt in with it, so up your filter run time fro a few days and you should be good.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Itabb, in my area, 2" of rain tends to elevate my pH to 8+. A dosage of acid usually tends to bring the sparkle back you speak of. Check your pH reading. Good luck.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4

PH did go up a bit, and I brought it back down to 7.6 from 7.8 the next day. I thought that was just normal with SWG and TA 100. I'll run the pump overnight and see how that works out. Good idea.
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

5. Back To Top    #5
    We have had excessive rain and even with the cover, there is the rain hitting water and our PH jumped, leaving the water dull and almost but not quite cloudly looking. But, then my TA was already high before that and rain does dilute your chlorine too. A bit of acid brought both down and a bit of extra chlorine on top of that cleared it right up.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!