Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newb- used the pucks. Halp!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Newb- used the pucks. Halp!

*is the pH high due to the amount of bleach?
    Should it go down as that does?

(hoping I can do a few more mini drain/fills this month to lower the CYA...)

Mod note: This post and the next one were moved from another thread.
    9,500 gal, in-ground, gunite
    Hayward 1HP pump, filtration system
    killed the auto chlorine system; using bleach!
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New pool (9 months), new Taylor test kit, I also think I have algae!!

I think you should probably have started a new thread, but I'll take a stab anyway.

Moved it for her.

No your pH does not go up because of bleach*. However the pH test is invalid with a FC over 10.

You should do more drains. If you are testing 95 CYA you are possibly higher. Try the dilution method to see what you get.

After you get your CYA in a better place and have properly SLAM-ed you need to up your CH up also.

Order of importance:
    1st ph / FC / Cya
    2nd CH / TA

*Ok technically it does, but it goes right back down as it's being used. It is not the cause of constantly high pH.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool Newb- used the pucks. Halp!

Hi all!
    Newly built, little pool...only the 3 of us... figured I could get by on my own with the strips.
    Similar to many, I kinda tried the tabs/dispenser thing since we had so many...builder didn't explain options... was doing fine, then bam!
    Light green, and I had yellowish dust.
    Halp!
    Sorta freaked and poured tons of bleach in, having done two tiny drains/fills waiting on my Taylor kit...
    talked hubby into draining a bit- but left pump on- woke up at around 3 something and turned it off. Was maybe a 25% drain.
    Paranoid about the pump, I have filled it back up... tiny pool, so I think I'd rather swing the bleach needed... Texas frowns on water use.

We have pretty hard water, and as I said, I just kinda poured bleach every once in a while...but I think my pool #'s right now are around:
    FC.......30 (added another gallon of 8.25 % after seeing the numbers)
    CC.......1.5 CH......175
    pH.......8
    TA.......170 (from the CYA?)
    CYA.....95 (average of 3)- still way high, but water is getting a lot better...? had probably been like 150...

I am a convert- the pucks almost got me.
    Already used one of the CYA testing bottles, though...

!

What should I do?

thanks!!

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...6a&oe=587648AC
    Last edited by newb with hard water; 09-22-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: fix
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Newb- used the pucks. Halp!

newb,

You really need to get your CYA level down to a manageable level. 95 is still too high. It really needs to be down between 30 to 40...

You don't have to use your pool pump. You can buy a cheap sump pump, or just use a garden hose as a siphon.. just like you used to do when you were stealing gas from your neighbor's car.... oh, wait they may have been me..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

What test kit are you using?

If your CYA is over 90ppm you should do an extended test to get a more accurate CYA level.

Extended CYA test

Shock FC level is 40% of your CYA. If your CYA is indeed 100ppm, you would need to maintain a FC of 40ppm for the duration of the SLAM.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't be discouraged! It's a learning process. Take you time, do the diluted cya test. It will give you a better idea of cya. Then you can drain and fill with fresh. But don't stop adding just bleach. Then a SLAM! It will require less bleach if your cya is down.

7. Back To Top    #7

Morning!
    thank you!
    Think I actually managed to kill whatever had started (SLAM'd to ridiculously high numbers-tiny pool, comparatively- and seemed to have passed an OCLT!)
    Water is blue.
    pool.jpg
    Yay!
    Now, I need to decide what my next move is.
    Hubby just hates the idea of draining much- we have had a decently wet summer here for Texas, but we still had some crazy high water bills a few times, trying to keep a
    fairly large yard green! We drained initially with hoses (after a couple of those tiny drains I did by opening the secondary skimmer thing at the pump while it was off- this will drain to
    skimmer level... then I filled kinda high...). I think we will buy a pump soon, but not now. I guess I can keep doing little draind to bring the CYA down slowly, but I will need to keep up the bleach pretty strong until I get it down.
    I think I must have started at 150 or 175... just got an average of just under 60 for CYA using the diluted test... not sure how I went from 90 to that, but not complaining. Did the test slowly and accurately with very fresh water, so
    I am confident in the number (running low on that reagent already! Ack!).
    So, I need to develop my long-term strategy for this pool using liquid bleach, and tabs only if gone...
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by newb with hard water; 09-23-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: oops! lol
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)

8. Back To Top    #8

ok, after coffee, redid cya.. um, yeah...
    final step of doubling fairly vital.

draining via skimmer at pump... will get abot 10%... ack.
    will have to convince hubby to drain like 50%, huh??
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Do you have a lower section of yard that you can extend a regular garden hose to then allow the water to drain passively via siphoning? That way you don't have to run the pump at all while draining.
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks- yes- for once the slope is in our favor-
    drained about 30ish (again, small pool... 4 hoses draining)- water running now.
    Going to check levels once it is a little too full.
    CYA reagent is not going to be enough... I have strips for a guesstimate.

*Hubby almost convinced on the CYA/bleach thing... we just cringe at using water.
    Hoping the high bleach/pH wasn't too much for the vegetation it hit.
    lol
    So hard for us to "waste" good looking water...
    It looked good, but the dust at the bottom was creeping back at the crazy high beach level.
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)

11. Back To Top    #11

My advice based on the same experience: draining a little at a time is a waste of water because you're only diluting the CYA each time you drain/fill. Someone here recommended doing a large drain, one time and refilling. Their advice was spot on and using pool math I hit my target CYA and most importantly I did all of this in one day.
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Sand filter, 1.5 Pentair Pinnacle
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Hear ya, but trying this this time...
    thinking I'll keep higher bleach levels, and lower the % slowly.
    Longer, and more time consuming, but...
    if it doesn't work (with it getting cooler, I figure almost no usage, and easy to keep sanitized),
    we'll get the pump and do a 75%.

but, yikes.

thank you!!
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)

13. Back To Top    #13

Did you order more CYA reagent? The test strips will not be accurate.

What testkit do you have?

14. Back To Top    #14

bought the Taylor K-2006 /
    Leslie's 81329 online- there is a Leslie's around the corner- will splurge.
    Have the leftover Leslie's strips, and surprisingly, maybe since I am pretty good at color shade detecting (part OCD, part whatever),
    I can get semi-accurate guesstimates!! But only know for sure since I just play with one while doing real ones!!
    Water still happy.
    With such a small pool, the jets/pump keep it swirling! We won't freeze for real here, so I won't do an actual shut down, but I will need to get the CYA down slowly and just keep the bleach right until
    I get it there. Our tap water seems to run with a drop high pH/alkalinity; guessing trying to keep the ick in the old pipes? lol
    San Antonio has some old pipes.

thanks!!
    San Antonio, Texas
    (hard water)