Silver Supporter
Sep 21, 2016
Crystal Lake
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We are in the very beginning stage of considering an inground pool/spa in the front half of the yard. Trying to decide between fiberglass or gunite. If fiberglass, it would be something like Thursday Pools Wellspring. The only problem with fiberglass are the set design. Gunite is a lot more configurable but with additional maintenance.

We are clueless in regards to equipment, although I do know I would like SWG.

We are also considering adding a larger upper deck in the back so our design and placements have to take this into consideration. Yellow box in picture.

Here is a picture of the yard.

house.jpg

I have seen a couple of you enjoy doing design work. I welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
hifters

I have started going though the links in Pool School.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Regardless of which pool type you go with, either can be easily maintained following the chemical principles here at TFP (i.e. Pool School). As for the SWG, ask your builder for the largest SWG they supply. Best to have that flexibility now as opposed to learning later that a small cell can't provide the chlorine (FC) you need.

Once you get a quote with a list of equipment, post back and readers will be glad to assist. Nice to have you with us.

Here is the quote we are considering. Anything that we should change?

-POOL CONSTRUCTION
-Install New Free Form Shotcrete Pool __18'__ft. X__36__ft. &__3 1/2__ft. to__6__ft. deep
-Excavation and hauling of spoils for pool and deck only
-Shotcrete to be 7.5 bag mix with pee gravel, Flyash, full fiber mix design
-Install #4 rebar 10" on center horizontal and vertical throughout Pool.
-Pool walls to be 10" and shallow end floor 10" and deep end floor 12" thick of concrete
-Bond beam of Pool to be 12" wide
-Install Two skimmers in Pool
-Install Two main drains with hydrostatic valve
-Install Three Pool returns
-Install stairs w/handrail at shallow end of pool
-Install Bench at deep end
-Install tanning ledge w/ pool steps
-POOL FINISHES
-Install 6 x 6 tile @ water line and 1 x 1 tile accent at stairs and benches
-Install Diamond Brite Plaster throughout blue in color----10 Year Manufacture Warranty
-Install 3 ft. of concrete deck around pool
-POOL EQUIPMENT
-Install one ___1.0___hp Jandy PHPF pump for pool--------------3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty
-Install one Jandy CL340 filter-------------------------------------------3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty
-Install one Jandy JXI heater___260,000____BTU------------------3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty
-Install 280 Polaris Cleaner and Booster pump----------------------3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty

-Upgrade to 2 led bubblers on tanning ledge----------------------
-Upgrade to 4 LED color lights---------------------------------------
-Upgrade to 2hp VS Pump--------------------------------------------
-Upgrade to JXI 400 Heater-------------------------------------------
-Upgrade to CL 460 Filter---------------------------------------------
-Upgrade to Polaris 9550 Sport Robot-----------------------------
Install new Jandy AquaPure 1400 Salt Water Chlorine Generator
One set of four Deck Jets installed with new Pool

Thanks,
Hifters

Actually, this seems like a pretty good list of items without some of the junk we typically see. The only thing that I might consider asking about is the number of returns (3). Always good to ensure that's enough surface movement towards the skimmer(s) for circulation. Congrats on the pool!

Hey, you're getting ready for fun in the pool!! Do you have a design picture or diagram you can post? Pictures help so much like the great one you posted in September.

I'm not an expert, so hopefully more will chime in on your quote. I agree with Splash about the returns. My pool is similar in size, and I have 6 returns. My pool shape is curvy, so I'm glad I have each one. One at the top of my steps would have been great. Seeing the shape of your pool will help.

Your upgrades - here's some food for thought which may not work for you: Btw, I also have Jandy equipment. Are the 4 color LED lights all in your pool area? I have 2 in the main pool area and the colors work beautifully. Light coverage is great. A small light would have been nice on our sun shelf, but we're ok without it. I have the same Jandy heater - so far, so good. The experts on here really like the Raypak heater. Check the price differences and if a change from Jandy would affect your warranty for the other equipment. I have the CL580 filter (TFP encouraged me to go up on that). Since it's larger, I clean the cartridges only twice a year (unless we get flooding and my pool ends up a muddy pond!!!). My PB talked me out of the deck jets. He said they often clog, and any kind of breeze or wind messes with the pretty arc. I don't know how your breezes are. Is Crystal Lake in Illinois? Just curious - that still won't tell me how breezy it is up there! We're fine without the deck jets, but we don't have little ones around. If you have kids, that might be a different story. Check reviews on your Polaris robot - I don't know anything about that make. It looks good on your pump, but I hope someone else will confirm that. I have a 2-speed pump which works for us, but so many love the VS pumps. I love having the salt cell system. Using the TFP's steps in water management has kept that salt cell clean as a whistle.

A couple more thoughts - it depends on the average height or projected avg height of your family, but a 4 foot shallow end is becoming more and more popular. I just read a member (around 5'2", I think) say she wouldn't like the shallow areas to be less than 4'. And she has quite a few grandkids of all sizes. I've also heard others say a 6 foot depth isn't much of an advantage for jumping and certainly no diving. I have a 7 foot deep end which still means no diving, but jumping works fine. I also wanted a little deeper than 6' for exercising in the pool - don't want to scrape my toes. I like 7 feet for swimming down and just playing around. Let us know how you see your pool being used.

Post diagrams and renderings if you have them. The people here can give suggestions for placements of lights, skimmers, benches, steps, etc.

Take care,
Suz

I just read a post from one of the experts here about why Raypak is better, but I can't find it or remember exactly why it's better. I think it has to do with better parts and materials. That helps a lot, right? Lol!!!

Here is a good thread on the TFP members who love the Raypak. Thoughts on Raypak Heaters

Re automation: I don't see anything in your quote list. If you enjoy your technology, consider upgrading to the iAqualink. The Jandy PDA is moderately frustrating at best. It is slower than molasses, and I'm not big into tech. You wait, and wait, and wait for the info you're wanting. It is difficult to read. The battery doesn't last at all, so if you use the backlighting option, say goodbye to that battery. Of course that doesn't really matter since the backlighting doesn't help much. Well, you get my drift. Even I would prefer to go through my cell phone which I hear works beautifully. Anything would be better than the PDA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.