Thank Goodness For Pool School! CH Question

May 25, 2009
Yay for pool school! Before the pool water was cloudy, dirty and numbers extreme. My way would have taken the entire summer to correct, but reading the Pool School section I accomplished a lot in a week! Currently, my water appears to be balanced, clean and sparkling!

Specifications:
Viking Pool (ceramic fiberglass), 9000 gallon, equipped with a s.w.g.

Water:
FC - 4
TC - 4
pH - 7.2
TA - 60
CH - 160
CYA - 60

I see my numbers are normal, except CH. Maybe the CH is low because I mostly filled the pool with soft water from my house. What do you pool experts think?

What kind of pool do you have? Vinyl pools don't care about CH unless you have a heater. If you have a heater, follow the heater manufacturer's recommendation for CH.

JohnT said:
What kind of pool do you have? Vinyl pools don't care about CH unless you have a heater. If you have a heater, follow the heater manufacturer's recommendation for CH.

I did the saturation index and my pool water is actually corrosive. Increasing the calcium levels will help off set the corrosive environment.

Zeppelin_Heaven said:
JohnT said:

I did the saturation index and my pool water is actually corrosive. Increasing the calcium levels will help off set the corrosive environment.
The CSI is actually one applicable to plaster surfaces. It does not predict corrosion on metal surfacts. However low calcium can cause other problems with fiberglass pools such as cobalt spotting and higher incidence of staining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really? I was celebrating when I finally got my CYA down to 60ppm. Last year it was over 150 at one time.

waterbear said:
Zeppelin_Heaven said:
JohnT said:

The CSI is actually one applicable to plaster surfaces. It does not predict corrosion on metal surfacts. However low calcium can cause other problems with fiberglass pools such as cobalt spotting and higher incidence of staining.

rbdeli said:
Really? I was celebrating when I finally got my CYA down to 60ppm. Last year it was over 150 at one time.
With a SWG you want to run with a higher CYA, helps the whole system run more efficiently. Because chlorine gets added automatically the level will tend to fluctuate less and so you can run it "closer to the line" than you really want to do with manual addition of chlorine.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.