Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
I need to replace my liner before next season (large tear beneath fiberglass steps), and am presently losing about an inch of water a day. I was going to have my pool store do the closing this year and watch and possibly try it next year.

Because of the tear and water loss I'm concerned about whether I need to add water over the winter or not. will the pipes be damaged if the water level is below the returns? I'm not thrilled about adding water ALL winter (and only slightly more interested in having a liner put in only to spend its first several months closed, covered, and cold.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this situation (basically does it matter if my pool is full when closed or not, esp. considering that I'm getting a new liner in the spring?

I'd look into getting the liner replaced asap. The longer you let it leak, the longer the sub structure below the liner erodes.

Another thing, you'll likely have a harder time finding someone to install it for you in the spring/early summer. If you get it replaced now, most pool builders will be less busy than at the height of the summer. replace the water, and close properly, you can be back to swimming in the spring in a hurry.

I suggest fixing your liner now, also. 1" daily is a pretty significant leak. I think the math comes up to maybe 100, 000 gallons over 250 days of winter!!!

If you let it drain down to the leak, how low is the tear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.