Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling pool in winter? First closing in STL MO

1. Back To Top    #1

Saint Louis, MO

Filling pool in winter? First closing in STL MO

I need to replace my liner before next season (large tear beneath fiberglass steps), and am presently losing about an inch of water a day. I was going to have my pool store do the closing this year and watch and possibly try it next year.

Because of the tear and water loss I'm concerned about whether I need to add water over the winter or not. will the pipes be damaged if the water level is below the returns? I'm not thrilled about adding water ALL winter (and only slightly more interested in having a liner put in only to spend its first several months closed, covered, and cold.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this situation (basically does it matter if my pool is full when closed or not, esp. considering that I'm getting a new liner in the spring?
    27400 IG vinyl liner, Hayward t-15 SWG, Challenger/Pentair 1HP, Hayward S-210T Sand Filter
    Dolphin Nautilus, K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Filling pool in winter? First closing in STL MO

If the water is below the returns, then I would just blow the water out of the pipes and treat is like a full blown closure as done in very cold climates.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Troy IL

I'd look into getting the liner replaced asap. The longer you let it leak, the longer the sub structure below the liner erodes.

Another thing, you'll likely have a harder time finding someone to install it for you in the spring/early summer. If you get it replaced now, most pool builders will be less busy than at the height of the summer. replace the water, and close properly, you can be back to swimming in the spring in a hurry.

20,000 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I suggest fixing your liner now, also. 1" daily is a pretty significant leak. I think the math comes up to maybe 100, 000 gallons over 250 days of winter!!!

If you let it drain down to the leak, how low is the tear?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School