First New England closing

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
First time closing with our new pool. Actually a company is coming to close as it was included with our new pool. I will be doing all the chemicals though. When do most of you in the New England area close? The heat pump is still doing a great job of keeping the water at 85. However, with cooler temps predicted for the next week, with low temps in the low to mid 40s, I am thinking now may be the time to remove the solar cover, turn off the heater and let the water get down into the 50s. My maintenance is already more that it was all summer with my neighbors leaves landing on and staining the cover.

Am I pulling the plug to early? Should I give it a couple more weeks?

First time closing with our new pool. Actually a company is coming to close as it was included with our new pool. I will be doing all the chemicals though. When do most of you in the New England area close? The heat pump is still doing a great job of keeping the water at 85. However, with cooler temps predicted for the next week, with low temps in the low to mid 40s, I am thinking now may be the time to remove the solar cover, turn off the heater and let the water get down into the 50s. My maintenance is already more that it was all summer with my neighbors leaves landing on and staining the cover.

Am I pulling the plug to early? Should I give it a couple more weeks?

Your not to early I wouldn't think. I just put the cover on myself a few days ago and most yrs. what triggers my closing is when the leaves start to fall. I put the cover on about a month before I blow the lines and pull the pump. I like the water temp. to be constantly below 60.

Your not to early I wouldn't think. I just put the cover on myself a few days ago and most yrs. what triggers my closing is when the leaves start to fall. I put the cover on about a month before I blow the lines and pull the pump. I like the water temp. to be constantly below 60.
I think that's the key for closing things up. For me it's just too early as the temp's are higher than 60 and it's just a little more Bleach to keep things right till I close

I live in West Suffield, CT and typically close my pool the 3rd or last weekend in September and every year since 2007, my water has been clear when opening in the spring. I do use a chemical closing kit (I realize there are other options and that's one reason why I joined this forum) from an online retailer. I am closing my pool tomorrow.

The *ONLY* issue I have had are lots of worms in the pool which stain the liner, but I believe this is due to switching to those 'water boxes' to hold down my cover. This year I'm going back to bags and I'll see how the worm situation is next spring.

EDIT: I should've mentioned that I use a solid cover.

I had a lot of worms this spring, but luckily no staining. The "water boxes" are great, but the lids blow off. This year, I will use long pieces of wood as well. My pool will be closed either next week, or the following week, and I only use PolyQuat 60 with a FC of 50% SLAM level. The pool is always opened one month early (before the holiday), and I leave the cover on for 24 hours with the filter running. The pool water is crystal clear. Vacuum up and ready for the pollen season. I believe it is the mesh covers that can really cause a mess if you wait too long in certain parts of the country before you open your pool.

If there were not so many leaves falling in the pool, personally I would keep it open until later October, early November (right before freezing). If you open up early, you can close early. I believe that is the secret in not waiting too long in the Spring to open the pool.

do most people normally use a winter algaecide or just shock prior to closing/?

Blizz

I think you will get different answers on this. For me I close late when the water temp is in the 50's and I open in the spring when the water is in the 50's and alls I do at closing is shock the pool.

If my routine was to close early when the water temp wasn't constantly in the 50's I think I would be adding polyquat 60 to guard against any algae.

Have had pool for 20 years. This my first closing after converting from baquacil(don't use it). I usually close about 2nd week Sept. I have someone do it for me because of heavy stairs. Reason I close early because of leaves got a lot of em. I have used the polyquat just to ease my mind. Will see next season what it will bring?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm closing next week in RI. Temp is sitting around 60 in the water, so close enough. Came from a total swamp this spring (I'm the new owner), so whatever it looks like in spring will be better than this year!

No way I'd still be paying to heat the pool, even if I wasn't ready to close. That's gotta be adding up. Plus once the air temp is down in the low-mid 70s, doesn't seem like anyone wants to use the pool even if the water is warm, so we've been done a couple weeks now and just waiting for the colder temps.

I'm definitely ready to put it to bed for the winter!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.