I'm green and so is my pool

Sep 22, 2016
Tyler
Hey everybody!
Been reading on the site for a bit to attempt to gather knowledge to tackle my green pool - it's either that or wait until Halloween and lead the trick-or-treaters to the back yard and theme it for the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I've seen the amazing results some other pool owners have had so I'm confident (with your help) that success is attainable. I'm new to taking care of the pool myself and I'm done with the local pool store, I've spent lots of money but it seems my pool is not even fazed by what i'm being told to do, so here's where I am...

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 70
CH - 390
CY - black dot never disappeared

Water is green and has foam on the surface, I vacuumed to waste twice last week to try to clear any unseen debris from the bottom.

I know I need to add chlorine (bleach?) I have 15 jugs sitting on the back porch waiting. and I've played around with the pool calculator so I believe I know how much I need to add. Is that my very next step? SLAM the pool?
Thank you all for your help - it is very much appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Just to ensure you're seeing the same thing on the Poolmath Calculator, I came-up with the following:
- CYA needs to be at least 30. Going from zero to 30 (minimum) takes 120 ounces of stabilizer (cyanuric acid). Get that in there right away using the sock soaking method.
- If you are using HEB's Bravo or Wal-Mart's Great Value 8.25% regular bleach, it takes about 4.5 gallons to get to the SLAM level of 12 in your 30K pool. (assuming your CYA target is 30).
- Remember when testing FC with your K-2006 kit, you can use the 10 ml water sample with one heaping scoop of powder (mix until clear) then divide the result by 2 (multiply by 0.5).

Test FC frequently at first to do all you can to ensure the FC remains fairly constant and doesn't completely drop too low in a matter of minutes. In the early SLAM the FC may drop really fast. Over time you'll get into a rhythm to maintain that SLAM FC and test every few hours or so. Make sure to do all the other things listed on the SLAM page. Good luck!

Absolutely (it's CYA) You need to dose enough (use PoolMath) into your pool to get to 30 ppm before SLAMing. As soon as you add the CYA to your pool, you can begin the SLAM which (based on that CYA) will be a dose of 12 ppm....(use PoolMath again)

Please be ready to test FC many time during the SLAM. A couple of hours after the first dose do it again.

So, I'm a good week at least away from trying to SLAM? Sounds like I need to get the CYA up using sock method and then when CYA is in good range - shoot for SLAM with bleach? Just wanting to make sure I'm in the hearing right.

LOVE your pic hehe good one!

So here is my input.......Pictures please......it is good for us and you. They will show all of us your progress that your eyes cannot see day to day.

You can squeeze the sock(s) to help speed up the dissolving of the CYA BUT you do NOT need to wait for it to all be dissolved before you start the SLAM.

Tonight will be a good time to start! It will give the bleach it's best chance to start the fight with the algae without the sun taking any of it.

When you get up in the morning, fix your coffee then head out to test and dose again.

The more your Maintain the FC at SLAM level the faster your SLAM will go. It IS going to take some time but will be worth it in the end.

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep He lives in there for sure! The creature in your picture that is! LOL

It is green but we can help you get it clean! (sorry had to go there :rolleyes:)

You need to go ahead and order more regents for the SLAM. You will need more for the FC test for sure. You can order them from the place in my siggy below.

Keep your pump running 24/7 and brush at least once a day to keep it stirred up.

OK, Thanks everyone for the help! i'm about 2 1/2 days into the SLAM - pool is looking like a more pastel green so we are changing things! My numbers are as so...

FC - 14
CC - 1
PH - 7.6
TA - 80
CH - 420
CYA - 40 - I was surprised to see the CYA at this level already, was expecting it to take longer. I pulled the socks for the moment and will check again in a few hours.

Went to bed last night with a solid 14ppm of FC and got up to around a 7ppm. Excited for the changes. I'll take some more pics soon and get'em on here!

Good job! I am glad you can see the difference. Make sure to keep an eye on your filter gauge. Once it gets 20% over your clean pressure do a back wash.

Good idea to pull the CYA sock. You don't want to go much higher during the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.