Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question: Pet Hair, Salt Cell, and Pool Warranty

1. Back To Top    #1

Question: Pet Hair, Salt Cell, and Pool Warranty

Hi All - New user here as well as a first time pool owner, appreciate the chance to ask a question.

My home came with a warranty that included saltwater pool PCB board and cell. It's a Hayward Aqua Rite, and the board wasn't working. Now, I've already fixed it by replacing the thermresistor myself. That's not the issue.

Before I fixed it, I had ORIGINALLY filed a warranty claim that was denied - The reason being that "pet hair build up in the salt cell caused the board to fail". I personally think that's complete garbage, but I'm a newbie. I've already submitted a request to cancel the useless warranty, but I was wondering... could that even be remotely true?

Thank you for your time!

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

Re: Question: Pet Hair, Salt Cell, and Pool Warranty

No, the thermistor issue is a known problem and would not be related to dog hair.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Dang I hate home warranty companies
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Hayward Pump, Polaris 280, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Pet hair should be trapped before the cell - either in the skimmer or your sand filter. I would ask in the future for them to show where it explicitly states this. BTW I find a LOT more of my one granddaughter's hair in the skimmer than my dog's.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

This is Hayward, The problem on the board has been addressed and fixed. Home warranty companies drive me crazy.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

6. Back To Top    #6
    TFP Guide

I'd love to hear (well, read) how this played out. Maybe the OP or Hayward will share.........
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi all - first off, I completely appreciate all of the feedback. I figured as much, but wanted to confirm.

I called the warranty company and shared my experience with them, wanting to cancel my warranty. Got retention on the phone and read them the riot act on their poor service and poor technicians. The person finally agreed that the diagnosis was a Baloney Sandwich. They refunded my service charge, and put the service provider on a "do not send" list for me.

Long story short - I'm out no bucks except the money for the thermistor.

Thank you all!

matt