confused by TF 100 recommendations

Sep 19, 2016
Wilmington, OH
I think I'm overthinking this. The kit says to use the K-1000 kit daily, but don't I need to know my FC, rather than total chlorine daily? Or do you just assume your TC is = to FC until you do your weekly CC test and it shows otherwise?

Sorry for so many questions...pool came with new house and I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible!

Thank you :)

The FAS-DPD test (the powder one) is to test FC and CC everyday*. The pH side of the blue box test is also everyday*. The OTO (yellow chlorine test) is the sanity check, in other words there is either no chlorine, some chlorine or a LOT of chlorine in this water!

*or as often as needed when the water is clear and you know your pool's appetite.

Some people use the OTO test for daily ballpark testing and the FAS-DPD a time or two per week, this is because the per test cost to run the FAS-DPD test is about 10 times higher than the OTO test. (OTO test has about enough reagent for 100 tests, and refills cost about $2, vs the FAS-DPD with about enough for 70 tests, and refills cost about $21) Personally I just use the FAS-DPD test, cost per test is still only about 25 cents, the OTO test is nice to have around as an occasional sanity check.

I just pulled out my little laminated instruction card for the TF-100 and it notes to do the basic OTO and ph tests (the ones in the blue K-1000 box) daily and the FAS-DPD test weekly. Let me know if you see it differently somewhere else as that would need correction. Thanks!

IMO the card needs to be changed. All the "normal" ranges for regular and SWG pools are ~ 3-6. There is no way I can tell the difference between 3 and 5 on the OTO test. Maybe other people can.

IMO the card needs to be changed. All the "normal" ranges for regular and SWG pools are ~ 3-6. There is no way I can tell the difference between 3 and 5 on the OTO test. Maybe other people can.

As was stated above, the blue block OTO side is just a sanity check. If it turns light yellow, you've got issues and should check it with the powder test. If it turns very yellow, you are probably OK. If it turns dark yellow, your chlorine level is pretty high and you should check it with the other test.

The pH side is good for always.

We generally say you should check it daily until you get to know your pools routine, once you get a feel for your pool and FC drift, you may be able to go 2 or 3 days between FC testing. It is all about experience (think of it sort of like learning to drive and how often you needed to check the speedometer)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The FAS-DPD test is essential while you are in the middle of a SLAM. Otherwise, I only do it once a week or so.

Knowing your FC level is kind of like having car insurance...not as important when everything is good (clean, crystal clear pool with no algae), but essential when an accident (algae) happens. You can't effectively SLAM without a FAS-DPD test.

I just think it's odd that you guys say the FC level is the most important thing in keeping your pool amazing, but the test kit you recommend doesn't say to check that daily.

CC isn't going to just show up. If your water is clear, you have good consistent chlorination and you haven't had a high bather load, there is no reason to test CC daily. The OTO test is good enough to alert you to problems and if you don't get the result you expect you run the FAS-DPD test to see what is going on. Then you verify with the FAS-DPD on the weekend to take a deeper look.

I can honestly say (and I will get scolded for it) that I have not done a full test of my pool water in 17 days. I did a full test on Sept 4th right before I had guests over for a party. My reading were the same as the readings that I had the last 15 or 20 times I tested, except for pH and I throw a couple of cupfulls of MA in to handle that.

I do the blue block test every couple of days and it shows me that my pool is healthy. There is no constant battle...ONCE YOU FIGURE OUT THE CORRECT ADDITIONS OF CHEMICALS. Up until that time, sure, its a bit of a fight.

That said, we have had 3" of rain in the past week, so I will do a full test this evening or tomorrow because of that.

I can honestly say (and I will get scolded for it)
Nope. No scoldings issued for that.

That's exactly what TFPC is about. Understanding how and when to test and knowing what to do with the results (and doing it).

Probably no better component of TFPC is having gained enough knowledge that you can merely walk by your pool and have a pretty good idea what it needs.

Of course, the only way you reach that zen-like equality with your pool is lots of initial testing, learning and understanding.....often taking years.

Here are my results
FC 18.0
CC .5
TA 60
pH 7.4
CH 50
CYA 50
Salt 2900
Temp 85

I think I need some calcium and a bit of stabilizer. Also turned the SWG down to 20%. Pool is covered and no sun for the last 3 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.