Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner. Closing in Chicago area

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner. Closing in Chicago area

Hi All,

I recently bought a house in a suburb of Chicago, IL with a pool. I know I need to close the pool for the winter, but I'm a little unsure on some of the finer points of the "how". Hoping I could get some help. I keep reading that I need to get the pool up to shock levels (not entirely sure what level that is?) and then I need to drain the pool to 6 inches below the return. The issue I have with that is that I have 2 return jets - on at the top of the pool and one near the bottom (see attached pictures). Am I really supposed to drain the entire pool each winter? Do I plug the lines with something? Something about needing to pour antifreeze in the filter? Do I need to disassemble the entire system and plug/block off all the holes? I guess I'm more than a bit lost. Please help me! haha.

IMG_3198.jpgIMG_3200.jpgIMG_3202.jpgIMG_3203.jpgIMG_3205.jpg

13,500 gallons, Above Ground, Round, Cartridge Filter (SwimPro Missile System)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner. Closing in Chicago area

Anyone?

3. Back To Top    #3

I see some obvious rust issues I'd do my best to take care of first before I closed it. Can you use that valve to turn off circulation to BOTH returns at once?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Marmaduke,

If it were me, I might hire a company to close this first year, and watch what they're doing and take notes. Then the next year you could do it yourself if you wanted. Very nice pool
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

I see some obvious rust issues I'd do my best to take care of first before I closed it.

Rust issues were from the previous owner. He had the liner and seals replaced at the beginning of the summer. If I need to completely remove the skimmer and/or upper return, I will spend some time cleaning up the edges and steel.

Can you use that valve to turn off circulation to BOTH returns at once?

I can turn off both returns using the valve, yes.

6. Back To Top    #6

You won't have to remove the skimmer, but rather lower the water below it then remove the hose. Similarly your high return should have the water lowered below it so you can plug it (additional step but nice in case of pool water rise) and remove the hose. As for the lower return, you'll have to plug it from the inside then remove the hose OR with a plug in hand pull the hose and then quickly plug from the outside of the pool.

You can drain your filter rather than adding antifreeze.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100