Jun 23, 2016
Monterrey, Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As some of you know, I'm finishing the project of my in ground pool

the pool is now filled with water from the "tap" but...

the dumbass that started the pump/filter did it in filter mode so the pool filled with DE from the filter (see pic)

being in Mexico is difficult to get the TFtestkit as soon as I want it here, so I only have the OTO/PH test

i had to use a flocculant to vacuum all the DE that went into the pool, My test kit says PH is around 7.8 but even though I have poured more than 2 gallons of Clorox by the end of the day the chlorine test comes clear because the sun is evaporating the chlorine

I'M IN NEED OF SERIOUS HELP HERE!!

Water is cloudy and I need to clear it.

How do i stabilize the chlorine? I have an inline puck chlorinator but haven't used the pucks yet

Any recommendations?

THANKS!!!

The first thing to do is get a notebook and write down what you add and when you add it. If you know the volume of the pool you can initially add dichlor or trichlor until you hit the mathmatically determined target point for your desired CYA target, then switch to a non stabilized form of chlorine. Given that you only have the OTO chlorine test, I would suggest aiming for a CYA level of about 40 ppm which will give you an FC target of about 4.5 ppm, or in other words keeping your FC target right at the upper limit of the OTO test limit on measuring TC.

p.s. Assuming 7,000 gallon pool that would be a total of 68 ounces of trichlor over a period of time will yield 40 ppm CYA assuming no splash out or break down (CYA does break down at a few ppm per month so you will need to get a good test kit eventually)

If we break that trichlor addition into quarters, after each 17 ounces of trichlor your CYA will go up by 10 ppm, so under ideal situation your FC target should be 1.2 ppm FC for CYA of 10, 2.4 ppm FC at 20 ppm CYA, 3.5 FC at 30 CYA, and 4.6 ppm FC at 40 CYA. In reality I would err on the upper side of those numbers.

Thanks for your reply.

Today I vaccumed the pool and is way better than yesterday. I added 300ml of muriatic acid to lower PH (was 7.8ish), turned on the inline chlorinator.

I'll be keeping the filter on until the evening to avoid chlorine depletion.

I'll turn it off overnight to let the remaining dust to settle and vaccum again in the morning.

tomorrow will do the same and hopefully the water will be better for a splash on saturday

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.