Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pouring bleach into the chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Pouring bleach into the chlorinator

Any reason NOT to do this? I switched over to TFPC Method last month. I still have an in-line chlorinator in the loop...the thing I used to put the hockey pucks into. It occurred to me last night, while I was pouring bleach into the pool, that I might get better dispersion if I poured it directly into the chlorinator and had it pushed out into the pool by the returns. My only concern is that I've never read a posting from anyone on this forum who does it this way.
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 1 main drain, Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater, Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection), Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pouring bleach into the chlorinator

Do NOT add any other chemical to the tab feeder.

3. Back To Top    #3

Please explain...
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 1 main drain, Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater, Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection), Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Explosions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Bleach + Trichlor = BOOM!

Truth be told, it's probably ok at this point if you did do that because there shouldn't be any residual trichlor left in the inline system....BUT, you never know what someone might add by accident and the dangerous situation that would create. So, TFP always advises against adding anything BUT trichlor tabs to a chlorinator just to be safe. Save the inline chlorinator for tablets and use it when you go on vacation and need to automatically chlorinate when you can't be there...many people use them in that fashion.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

There is potential for very dangerous reactions to occur if pool chemicals are mixed, especially acid, Chlorine, cal-hypo, I'm sure there are more. Keep them separated. Or Google cool pool chemical explosions. I'm sure some Darwin award candidates have made some you tube videos.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is one of those said idiots, being well idiots in more ways than one danger in pool chemicals - YouTube It does not help that they refer to the things being mixed as water, chlorine and shock which I guess at least does not tell other idiots what to go buy.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

So to borrow from Ghostbusters, it would be like "crossing the streams"...IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP, THANX IGOR!

Didn't know about mixing chlorine with trichlor. Thanx all for the cautionary advice.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was talking with a guy at work and he said that his wife put Shock in their chlorinator and it basically melted the chlorinator insides from all the heat. I think people forget that these chemicals have the potential to cause serious issues if not handled properly. The exothermic reaction is easily handled by thousands of gallons of water but not in a small confined space.
    On a sidenote, the chlorinator cannot be operated with the top off, so you'd have to pour it in and seal the top and basically create a closed chamber. Could it work with liquid chlorine ? Questionable. But you should better make sure there's no other reactive chemicals in there with it. It's probably just a better idea to not use that method.

Do not pour Shock (calcium hypo) into the chlorinator!
    Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine... ...TF-100....CYA/Chlorine Chart...Recommended Levels... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tomolena View Post
    Any reason NOT to do this? I switched over to TFPC Method last month. I still have an in-line chlorinator in the loop...the thing I used to put the hockey pucks into. It occurred to me last night, while I was pouring bleach into the pool, that I might get better dispersion if I poured it directly into the chlorinator and had it pushed out into the pool by the returns. My only concern is that I've never read a posting from anyone on this forum who does it this way.
    Why would pouring a gallon of bleach into 28,000 gallons of water cause anyone concern over effective dispersion? Try adding some pool dye to the jug of bleach (although it will probably be instantly neutralized) before you dump it in) and see how long it takes to spread across the pool. Bleach will mix in very quickly in a pool with the pump running.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

They wanted to add the bleach to the tab feeder. That's not good. It is ok to add to the pool.

Also, never add anything directly into bleach, including dye. Never mix any chemicals of any kind.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    They wanted to add the bleach to the tab feeder. That's not good. It is ok to add to the pool.

Also, never add anything directly into bleach, including dye. Never mix any chemicals of any kind.
    He wanted to put in in the chlorinator given his mistaken belief that a direct pour wouldn't be effective to disperse the chlorine. Dump a gallon of anything directly into the pool and it will disperse quickly.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    He wanted to put in in the chlorinator given his mistaken belief that a direct pour wouldn't be effective to disperse the chlorine. Dump a gallon of anything directly into the pool and it will disperse quickly.
    Not quickly enough. It will go to the bottom and disperse rather slowly because it is much heavier than water. You can actually watch it go down if your water is clear and the surface smooth at night.

Google "Acid column myth" and you'll find an image showing muriatic acid settling to the bottom of a pool. 12.5% sodium hypo has a higher SG than muriatic acid and would settle even more.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

14. Back To Top    #14

Which is why it's recommended to pour across a running return jet. No?

15. Back To Top    #15

Correct
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Pouring bleach into the chlorinator

What about directly into a skimmer which would then be dispersed thru all jets??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_ox View Post
    What about directly into a skimmer which would then be dispersed thru all jets??

Nope. TFP never recommends doing this with any chemicals. Sending concentrated oxidizers (bleach) or acids (MA) through your plumbing is hard on your equipment and potentially damaging as well. Sending concentrated bleach into your filter is bad idea because the higher concentrations of FC mean that you will generate CCs a lot faster if there is any organic load in your filter.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Nope. TFP never recommends doing this with any chemicals. Sending concentrated oxidizers (bleach) or acids (MA) through your plumbing is hard on your equipment and potentially damaging as well. Sending concentrated bleach into your filter is bad idea because the higher concentrations of FC mean that you will generate CCs a lot faster if there is any organic load in your filter.
    Thanks for explanation. I always pour directly above a jet so it disperses and wondered what implications I could suffer from doing it differently.

13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")