Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Plumbing Observation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Plumbing Observation

Just an observation. I've noticed in some of the images on this forum of pool equipment installed by pool builders, that the hard plumbing looks as if it were planned out by shooting silly string at the equipment and then the PVC was run to follow it. I do realize, plumbing several pieces of equipment can be a daunting/complicated endeavor, and that my pool/equipment setup is no where near as complicated as an IG setup. But, do they always look like that?

I'm moving my equipment about 30 feet away from the pool this fall. I'm going to try for the cleanest/simplest hard plumbing job possible and I'm looking for inspiration. Anybody have images of clean plumbing they've done so I can be confident I can do it too?

Not a deep subject, but I have a little time to kill this morning and I got to thinking........
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; 1/2 HP Intex Pump 1600 GPH; 12" Sand Filter, Intex in pool skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Plumbing Observation

I share your passion for a clean pad. I've seen a few that were near breathtaking. I have horrible compensation issues for my shortcomings and plumbed my pad with 3" pipe. That made especially difficult to avoid some of the silly string.

-Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page @daviscustomconstruction

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and if you can conceal it a bit.

Too many valves seems like a big headache to reach some special level of operation.
    SWG: CircuPool SI30+Plus; Recommended Levels: Salt 3000-4000, 3500 is ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.5-7.8; TA 100; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter
    TAYLOR K - 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

My equipment pad is simple, there is a pic or two in the link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Bdavis : theres a lot of plumbing, but not a spider web. And the 3" PVC makes up for the bends. Well done.

Chuckie: Good advice. I can see how too many valves shooting for absolute/very specific control could complicate the plumbing. Just the valves I need and no more.

pooldv: Very well organized, Very clean, very simple as well. Not too many valves. Looks to be well thought out.

Thank you all for the advice. Nice to see how others plumbed their equipment. Keep the photos coming....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; 1/2 HP Intex Pump 1600 GPH; 12" Sand Filter, Intex in pool skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I share your passion for a clean pad. I've seen a few that were near breathtaking. I have horrible compensation issues for my shortcomings and plumbed my pad with 3" pipe. That made especially difficult to avoid some of the silly string.

Hey Brian,

Is that a Costco bag of Arm & Hammer baking soda sitting behind the MasterTemp for when you bake cookies using the heater exhaust

" compensation issues " .... hehehe ..... you just an extra-large Big Green Egg on your patio ODK to feel better ....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I have a flame thrower to bake the cookies with now. The master temp is a joke in comparison... No visible flame.

That bag was the remnant of the ol' bicarb startup. I kept it around just in case I ever need to raise the TA. That would be a very welcome day, if it ever comes. Until then I'll be waiting........... And waiting............ And waiting
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    ...That would be a very welcome day, if it ever comes. Until then I'll be waiting........... And waiting............ And waiting
    You might want to bake some cookies while you wait....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I'd likely grow a belly big enough to completely displace the volume of water in my pool from all the waiting
    -Brian-

10. Back To Top    #10

No more images from proud plumbers with clean PVC installs for a man on a mission?
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is a nice one.

TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Now that's impressive....how many pools on your street does that system control? LOL
    If someone was willing to figure out that design, I should be able to run 2-suction lines and 2-return lines connected by a couple of three way valves to my little pond. Heck, I'll probably be able to run solar lines or plumbing to a gas heater even.....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey, here's another TFPer pondering some plumbing.

Just finished redoing all my plumbing . What do you think? Pic
    TFP Moderator