Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP! Pool Drain not centered after gunite...

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP! Pool Drain not centered after gunite...

Hi Guys,

I had the gunite done on my pool and now it is very obvious that the pool drain is at least a foot off center. I have a rectangular pool, so it should be very easy for the PB to have centered the drain. The only reason that I could think of for the drain being off center, is if the PB centered the drain between the setp (on the right side) and the left wall.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not this seems correct? If not, is this something that should be fixed by the PB?

Attachment 54536
    14x28 IG Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua tile, White plaster, Gray Acrylic deck, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C Commercial Sand Filter, Stenner Econ T (NaCIO), Zodiac Baracuda Cleaner (coming soon), 4' Baja Step (18"), aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP! Pool Drain not centered after gunite...

Looks like they did use the step when placing it. I think most people would not notice. But this is your pool so bring it up to your PB if it bothers you. I would not risk the mess of moving it, chance of leaks cutting pipe.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Having seen many builds, there is no correct or incorrect on this placement (best practices/common sense yes) if the exact location was not shown on the drawing.

I'd leave a sleeping dog lie on this one.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not a PB but how would they even fix that? Rip the whole thing out and start over??? Doesn't seem like it's enough of an issue to justify the hassle.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Let it go. To make them fix it will most likely require cutting rebar & plumbing as well. I would not risk it for something so minimal at he bottom off the deep end.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the quick help guys and gals. It is great to have TFP as a resource for all these questions and concerns.

I'm going to ask the PB why the drain was installed the way it was done, but I'm not going to press the issue.
    14x28 IG Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua tile, White plaster, Gray Acrylic deck, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C Commercial Sand Filter, Stenner Econ T (NaCIO), Zodiac Baracuda Cleaner (coming soon), 4' Baja Step (18"), aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder

7. Back To Top    #7

I really wouldn't think twice about that placement. The way the walls around it transition to floor, it looks like it is supposed to be there . . . and it probably is. The ONLY time you or anyone is going to pay any attention to the drain is when you're brushing down some of that fine brown desert dust that settles on every flat surface in your pool 15 minutes after the cleaning cycle ends . . .

You're looking great. Don't sweat it, no one will be bringing it up at the TFP annual meeting.

8. Back To Top    #8

^Haha, thanks, BigE! I was sweating the next TFP meeting