Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non Metal Shock for pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Non Metal Shock for pools

Should I be using a non metal containing shock treatment for my pool? Does it make a difference? If so, do you have any recommendations on what brand I should be using?

Thanks
    Scott

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Non Metal Shock for pools

Hey Scott! Why do you need to SHOCK your pool?

3. Back To Top    #3

Because I have a two year old who does things in a pool that you are not suppose to do

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

As long as you keep your FC within the recommended range for your CYA (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart), you should not need to shock your pool. If you ever do, the only thing we recommend using is liquid chlorine, aka plain old laundry bleach available at any store.

Btw, we don't shock, we SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain). The difference is the duration over which we keep the FC level elevated. A SLAM is not a one time event. You keep it up until a specified set of conditions are met. Have you read the Pool School link at the top of the page yet?
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by smpross View Post
    Because I have a two year old who does things in a pool that you are not suppose to do
    LOL, I hear ya! But using plain, unscented bleach is the way to go here. It raises your FC to shock levels yet doesn't add anything else to your pool that you don't want or need.

Are you testing your water- if so how high are you calling "shock" level?

Yip
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

So is there a calculator on the site that will show me how much bleach to add for a 13000 gallon pool?

Scott

7. Back To Top    #7

So I read up on SLAM. But what happens after you SLAM and everything goes to normal and your two year old has an accident in the pool? Do you start all over again with the SLAM process?

Scott

8. Back To Top    #8

You should use a good test kit and at least check your FC and PH
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Just because the 2 year old has a liquid accident in the pool doesn't mean you need to SLAM. If you maintain your FC at the correct level for your CYA you're good. Of course, you will need to test your own water daily to keep the FC at the needed level.

If the 2 year old is having a solid accident in the pool, you may want to work on putting on their swim diaper more securely.

Have a read through Pool School - link at top of forum. And consider ordering one of the recommended test kits - I like the TF-100 as it offers the best bang for your buck.

No need to "shock" and certainly not with any product containing metals.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

10. Back To Top    #10

This was a solid accident. Nothing "Leaked" out of the Diaper, but that would not stop bacteria from entering the pool even though the swim diaper was secure.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Chlorine maintained at or above the recommended level will kill bacteria - Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

When it happens, everyone out of the pool. Fish out the offending solid and test the water (after removal and with pump running for at least 15 minutes prior to testing), adjust FC as needed. While it may not be technically necessary, I'd consider bumping my FC up maybe 5 points above my minimum - just because..... Eewwwww.

Here the CDC take on it: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...guidelines.pdf
    Last edited by proavia; 09-21-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added CDC link
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Should I be using a non metal containing shock treatment for my pool? Does it make a difference? If so, do you have any recommendations on what brand I should be using?

Thanks
    Scott
    Welcome to the forum.

As others have mentioned, don't sweat it, unless someone is auto-immune compromised maybe.

You could always raise FC to 20% of your CYA if it makes you feel better.

How do you test the pool, and how do you usually chlorinate the pool?

"Non-metal shock".... That's the first time I've heard that. Was that a pool $tore recommendation?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a SWG system. I heard about non metal shock on other sites that indicated that it may stain your pool. I am completely new to owning a pool. Right now, I am testing the FC about once per week.

Scott

14. Back To Top    #14

So is there a calculator on the site that will show me how much bleach to add for a 13000 gallon pool?

Scott
    I have the same capacity pool as you...a half a gallon of 8.25% bleach will raise the FC 4 to 4.5 ppm.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

"Non Metal Shock" ?? I wonder if they meant Non-Chlorine Shock product like Potassium Monopersulphate?? Which messes with your CC's in testing. Best to avoid it.
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    "Non Metal Shock" ?? I wonder if they meant Non-Chlorine Shock product like Potassium Monopersulphate?? Which messes with your CC's in testing. Best to avoid it.
    I was thinking either MPS, or maybe someone was referring to some magic pool $tore elixir of dichlor & copper sulfate type stuff. If so, then yes, use only non-metal containing sanitizers.

Good old liquid chlorine is all you need, 'the bleach will set you free' (of the pool $tore).
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!