Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help needed, please - chelating agent and powder shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Help needed, please - chelating agent and powder shock

So...I think I messed up pretty bad. I recently had a new liner installed and refilled my inground pool. The pool store suggested I use a 'metal out' product called "Natural Chemistry Metal Free". Put a liter in Sunday, then went back Monday with a water sample and they suggested another liter but otherwise said the water was fine. I added the second liter Monday about 6pm and have been running the filter 24-7 for the past week.

As the water has no chlorine now, being paranoid about algae I added a pound of powder shock this morning, about 36 hours after the last dose of Metal Free. I noticed though, that the powder does not seem to be dissolving all the way, and some seemed to gather at the bottom and top of the pool.

I am now very worried the shock won't dissolve and will bleach out my liner. Is there anything I can add to help it dissolve properly?

Thank you for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help needed, please - chelating agent and powder shock

Welcome to TFP!

Brushing is the only way to help it dissolve at this point. Use bleach/liquid chlorine to avoid this concern. Also, the powdered shock either adds calcium or CYA to the pool depending on what kind of "shock" it is. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You can add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to out in your sig and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

and some seemed to gather at the bottom and top of the pool.
    Stir it up. Brush the bottom until it dissolves. Is it floating on the top?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Yes, there is some floating on top. I saw some visible on the bottom at first, but I brushed that. My wife is now home with the pool and says there is no visible residue on the bottom.

Could this also be because of the temperature? It is cool in NY now as it is the start of Fall.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. So basically just keep brushing and stirring.
    16 x 34 (approx. 23400 gallon) IG pool, vinyl liner, Hayward sand filter, Hayward pump, approx. 20 years old, Taylor K-2006