Leaving water on cover of above ground pool or pumping it off?

Jun 13, 2009
In general, I have pumped the water off the cover on my above ground pool. However, I saw some videos this year from companies closing pools that actually added water to the cover after closing to keep the cover down? What is the general consensus on this? Thanks.

In general, I have pumped the water off the cover on my above ground pool. However, I saw some videos this year from companies closing pools that actually added water to the cover after closing to keep the cover down? What is the general consensus on this? Thanks.

I would leave a little bit of water on the cover to keep it from blowing off. The amount all depends on the structure of the swimming pool. Some AG pools are real sturdy, while some are not. The sturdier the pool, the more water you can leave on top. My IG pool has a solid tarp cover and I left the water build up all winter and spring before pumping it back in the pool.

While the leaves are falling I always drain the cover so they can blow off. As long as you have slack to allow the cover to lay on the water it ok to leave it on. I try to get all water off as soon as possible. There can be a nasty brew on top come spring if left.

Its up to you.

Thanks for the feedback. I do tend to pump the water off as when it freezes it can become a real problem. Related to this - is it ok to add in a second or a third pillow under the cover to create a smaller area where rain water collects? I use a cover pump but at present it has to be moved around a lot as the water pools in 3-4 places around the pillow in the center.

I use round pool floats as pillows. I tie two together, 1 large, 1 small, in the center with thin rope. I use these to help pull the cover out when closing, then tie in the center. I can move them around as necessary if needed with the ropes. Only when no water though.

If you go with pillows, don't blow them up all the way. You should be able to push the center together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.