Propane and heat pump real world heating costs please?

Well, i'll start. I live in Western NY and I run my heater about 10-15 hours/month, May to Sept. I do use a cover Natural gas. At my rates it costs me about $1.00-$1.25/hr to run. I don't maintain any specific temp.

With this, and the info in my sig line you can see how this won't compare at all to your pool and area. Heating a pool, or anything, is all about the BTU's.
In the case of my pool, I can raise the water temp by 2 deg/hr with my 100,000 BTU heater. To do the same with yours, you would need a Heater with a BTU output of 480,000 BTU which would be roughly a 575,000 BTU heater (input). At that rating, yours would cost about $6.00/hr to run on my gas rates.

There are electric conversion tables to use to input the cost and energy usage to heat with heat pumps as well. I don't mess with them as electric heat in my area doesn't make much sense.

Dan

I am investigating heaters as well and found on RayPak's site this application that lets you select your location, pool size, location, months you want to operate, your local costs for gas/propane/electric, pool temp you want to maintain, .. And then shows a comparison chart for these costs. So your energy costs can be a large factor as expected. Of course this is focused on their products, but it is nice for comparison of energy costs.

I live outside of Atlanta, and my pool water needs no heating from June-September (actually install cooling jets in June-August). Here because of all the AC used, there is a huge electric capacity in the area, so when fall/winter come around electric costs for me drop 47% (from $0.087/kwh to $0.046/kwh). And gas prices increase in the winter. So for me a heat pump is a much better deal in terms of cost of heating.

However, I use gas heating in my home's main living areas as it heats more quickly and feels warmer from the vents.

I live in southeastern CT, I've had my pool set at 85 since June. I keep the solar cover on if I'm not using the pool. My heat pump is on a timer and at most will run 10hrs a day when the sun is out and air temps are up. On average my pool as a whole (pump and heater) has added about $75 a month to my electric bill when compared to the previous year when I didn't have a pool. As of yesterday when I looked my pool was still at 85 and the heat pump wasn't running when I got home from work. You can see the specs of my pool and equipment in my sig down below.

First and foremost..........WELCOME TO TFP!!!

Hi

Will anybody tell me in detail their actual energy costs per month to heat please?

What size pool?.....
19x25 approximately 24,000 gallons

Propane Natural or Heat pump?
Heat Pump

What temperature?
We keep the pool between 84° and 86° depending on the use we estimate

What area?
Western Ohio

A solar blanket is a MUST for any type of heater. If you're not using one you're burning a TON of money for no reason.

We run ours from Early May-Mid October

Monthly cost?
In the early and late parts of the swim season the prices increase as the temps are much lower. During this time I would say right around $150 a month. We do tend to keep the temps set lower during this time of the year though as the pool isn't used as much due to the kids being in school. During the warmer Summer months however the bills run about $75-$100. We do have very low power rates in this area which will impact your finial bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.