Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help !!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help !!!!

I have a 24 round above ground pool and my issue is Alkalinity vs PH. I started out with the Alkalinity at 200 and PH at 7.4 all other chemicals were perfect. I put in muratic acid and brought the alkalinity down to 100 after a few days and ph was really low as expected. I added PH up till it got back to 7.2 but alkalinity went back to 160. Sooooo I added more muratic acid and got the alkalinity BACK down to 120 but the PH was low again and I added PH up till it got back to 7.4 but once again the alkalinity is back to 160. Water is EXTREMELY CLEAR and all my other chemicals are right on the money. Any idea how to raise the PH without raising the alkalinity ??? Thanks guys

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcelletti View Post
    I have a 24 round above ground pool and my issue is Alkalinity vs PH. I started out with the Alkalinity at 200 and PH at 7.4 all other chemicals were perfect. I put in muratic acid and brought the alkalinity down to 100 after a few days and ph was really low as expected. I added PH up till it got back to 7.2 but alkalinity went back to 160. Sooooo I added more muratic acid and got the alkalinity BACK down to 120 but the PH was low again and I added PH up till it got back to 7.4 but once again the alkalinity is back to 160. Water is EXTREMELY CLEAR and all my other chemicals are right on the money. Any idea how to raise the PH without raising the alkalinity ??? Thanks guys
    Adding PH up will increase your alkalinity as it is washing soda. You lower your alkalinity using muriatic acid which will also lower your ph. Then you aerate to increase your ph. Turn you return so it breaks the suface of the water and causes bubbles. It may take a while to raise your ph through aeration but that is the way to do it.
    24'x52" Above Ground Pool, Hayward Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Dual Speed pump, In-line Chlorine Feeder (only used when on vacation), AquaLuminator return light (customized with color changing LED light), all plumbing done with Schedule 40 PVC
    & 2004 Elite Spas Monterey Hot Tub (~400 gallons) with Controlomatic Technichlor SWG - Use Taylor K-2006 test kit with K-1766 addition and speed stir on both.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a link for more information about lowering TA:
    Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

4. Back To Top    #4

Try this:

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome. Thanks guys

6. Back To Top    #6

Another point to keep in mind is that borax will raise pH with less (but not zero) increase in TA, as compared to washing soda.

If you open PoolMath, and look down near the bottom, you can experiment with the effects of adding various chemicals.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits