Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainbow 320

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainbow 320

Hey everyone,

I have a Rainbow 320 Chlorinator. After the pump is turned off I hear it drain and empty the water out of it. Is that normal or do I have an air leak somewhere? There are not signs of leaks, it doesn't leak any water. I just replaced the gasket. It has always done this.

Also, I just installed an inteliflow VS pump. Do I need to make any adjustments to make sure the pool gets enough chlorine from the Chlorinator?

Thanks for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainbow 320

Hi - welcome to TFP. There's a check valve in the bottom of the cylinder that allows the 320 to drain if the water pressure inside is higher than the piping beneath it, so sounds like yours is operating correctly, draining after the pump shuts off.

As for adjustments after adding a VS pump, I strongly recommend you test daily to make sure your chlorine levels are adequate, and adjust the 320 as you go. Make sure you use the right FC level for your CYA level. If you plan to keep using trichlor tabs, it's highly recommended to invest in a good test kit (i.e. TF-100XL from tftestkits.net), and do your own testing, particularly regular monitoring of your CYA levels.

Personally I found the 320 struggled to get enough flow with my VS pump, unless I ran it at near top speed which defeated the reason for using a VS pump in the first place. For about a year I never could get enough chlorine in the pool using that setup, got algae and had to SLAM a couple of times. That, coupled with trichlor increasing my CYA levels, was the final straw in ditching the chlorinator and moved to the TFPC method using liquid chlorine (bleach).
    Graeme // 15k gal 29x15 geometric IG w/750 gal spa, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, travertine coping and decking, Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 1hp water feature pump, Easytouch 8 w/wireless handheld, Racer pool cleaner, 400,000 BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5G LED lighting, bubblers, pencil jets, TF-100 w/SpeedStir, Borates & Salt. Finished and filled June 2015!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Rainbow 320

Thanks. I will monitor the chlorine level. I've never had to worry about CYA levels due to the amount of rain and sun we get.