Trying to figure out my valve settings

JohnPK

Sep 20, 2016
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello,

Still a relatively new pool owner, and trying to figure out what my valve positions do. Here is a bunch of pics of my setup: http://imgur.com/a/lykkE You can see that the position is slightly different when the waterfall and/or jets are on... I guess I'm trying to find out what happens when the valves are in different directions, but can't quite figure it out.

Last edited:
Re: Trying to figure out my valve set

The short end of those valve handles indicates that flow direction is off. In your normal mode, flow is from the pool frogs through the two valves and back to your pool returns, which would be the right hand pipe (the one that feeds the intake for the booster pump).

Looks like when your waterfall/jets are on the left valve opens slightly to allow some flow down the left return pipe. The right valve shuts off the pool returns and sends flow down the other pipe. So the left return is one of your waterfall/jets (I'd guess jets) and the other return is the other one (I'd guess waterfall).

Have you played with the valve positions? From the waterfall/jet position, turning them one at a time back to the normal operating positions should tell you what each one does.

Oh and welcome to TFP.....lots of great people and advice here.

Your builder didn't set this up the best way. Should have put the waterfall and deck jets on same valve, then you would only have to turn one valve to operate. Be careful with the valve on the right if you put in the waterfall position you will be cutting off the water to booster pump and could damage pump if it runs without water

Thanks for this! I played with the valves as you suggested... The attached picture is what they seem to do. The arrangements marked A, B, and D I get... those are normal settings (no jets/waterfall), and then B (right valve) controls the waterfall, and D (left valve) controls the jets. I guess I have no idea what setting C would do (if anything), and I don't think setting E or F are of any value, but I'm not sure if they would hurt?

Better quality: http://i.imgur.com/Z34SRtm.jpg

Pool Valve Settings.jpg

Your builder didn't set this up the best way. Should have put the waterfall and deck jets on same valve, then you would only have to turn one valve to operate. Be careful with the valve on the right if you put in the waterfall position you will be cutting off the water to booster pump and could damage pump if it runs without water

So would that be arrangement C in my pic above?? That's what I'm struggling to figure out... Sorry for the dumb questions, but these are kind of confusing for a newbie! I guess I wouldn't run the cleaner and the waterfall at the same time though, so would arrangement B be ok - this seems to be the normal operating arrangement to run the waterfall?

No the pipe on the far right, which is your main return line would have to be switched with the pipe on the far left. as it is now the best way to run the pool cleaner pump is position A or C. You have to imagine that there is a diverter inside these valves, it is positioned exactly where the curved part of the handle is. So when you put it inline with a pipe the word off means that pipe is closed. You can position these valves to be open, closed or somewhere in between. As you noticed in picture D the valve on the left is only partially opened to the jet line, as you move ccw the jet line is opened more and you get more pressure to the deck jets as in picture E. In picture B you have all the water going to the waterfall, and in this position you should never run the booster pump for the cleaner

Ahh, so I think I get this now... The curved short end of the valve indicates that flow is off?? So this labelled diagram of my valves and pipes should be correct?? http://i.imgur.com/7Ie1Uri.jpg I guess it makes sense, because when in position B, there is no water going to the returns, but I guess the waterfall is, more or less, the return when in this position. Thanks guys for your advice!!

Normal Settings.jpg

Yeah that all makes sense, thanks a lot for the pictures. Jets are controlled by left hand valve, pool returns and waterfall by right hand valve. As I mentioned before, the short end of the valve handles have "off" markings, which tells you the pipe it is pointing at is closed off. If it's not pointing at a pipe (like the right valve in C) it means everything on that valve is open. Anyway here's what's happening in each position.

A - All flow going to the pool returns (jets/waterfall off per the valve indicators)
B - pool returns off, waterfall on (jets off on left valve)
C - All pipes are open on that right valve, so both pool returns and waterfall are on (the reduced pressure at waterfall because the flow is now 50/50 split with the returns, unlike B. Jets off on left valve)
D - small amount of flow to jets through left valve, rest to pool through right valve (waterfall off)
E - all pipes open on that left valve, flow 50/50 split between jets and pool returns (waterfall off)
F - All flow all to jets (returns and waterfall off)

To kadavis' point, when running your cleaner you need to avoid having the left valve in position F or the right valve in position B as either of those positions will shut off the flow to the pool returns that feed the booster pump. All other positions should be ok, although you will see maximum flow at the cleaner in position A.

If you want to run your water features at the same time as your cleaner, you can, but if you start splitting flow to the water features you should verify that you still have enough flow at the cleaner return for it work properly. Usually with your cleaner they supply a small flow indicator that connects where the hose goes into the wall and allows you to verify you have enough.

I agree it would have been easier for you if the builder had put the water features on a single valve.

Edit: see you guys got it solved while I was typing. Yes your interpretation is correct and the red markings indicate the pipes that are off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.