Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low alkalinity high ph fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Low alkalinity high ph fix?

I have an in ground plaster 9 X 17 kidney shaped Pool approximately 4,000 gallons. It has the AquaPure chlorine cell. Salt content about 3.1, alk 70, ph 8.4, chlorine a bit high at 8 ppm, Cya 110. Water has never been changed and was started up in 2005. Water is clear. How do I get the ph in range and also Balance the alk. Adding acid would solve the phone issue but lower the alk even more.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low alkalinity high ph fix?

Hello and welcome to TFP! Checkout our Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page and you'll see that baking soda is used to increase TA.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

Re: Low alkalinity high ph fix?

There is no reason TA can't be lower than 70. Down to 50 is ok. If it gets below that baking soda like Pat pointed out is the way to go.

e: How did you get a pH of 8.4? My test kit only goes to 8.2
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart