Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety cover support

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety cover support

I have a 24x44 in ground and will be installing a safety cover for the first time. I'm going south for the winter and won't be here to tighten straps. Is it OK to put a few inner tubes in the center for added support?
    24x44 in ground. Premier earth filter, Hayward heater, sanitized with chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety cover support

You tighten the straps when you install it to stretch the springs a specified amount and shouldn't have to do anything afterwards. You won't need anything in the pool but water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

They are designed to stretch (really compress the springs) so that the cover rests on the water when it snows. However, each cover manufacturer will specify the proper water level. It is usually in the range of 18" or less below the cover level. Of course you want the water level to stay below the waterline tile at all times while freezing is possible.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

4. Back To Top    #4

It's an arctic armour 30 year. They say 18". Thanks. I'll drain it to 18" and just cover it. Thanks.
    24x44 in ground. Premier earth filter, Hayward heater, sanitized with chlorine.