Intermatic Mechanical Time Clock with X10 Automation

Feb 1, 2016
Walnut
Hello All:

I am attempting to configure something that might sound a bit archaic ... I dusted off my old X10 system with the hopes to making my pool equipment semi automated! .. At this point, from everything that i have read, the X10 system doesn't always work when turning on or off appliances and/or lamps ... With that said, I was thinking about just using the X10 portion to remotely turn on my filter and heater before I decide to go in ...

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish, currently, I have an Intermatic sub panel with mechanical time clocks (T30040R) if I'm not mistaken ... I am wondering, if I am able to keep that time clock in place for the daily operation of the the filter, and just use the X10 as a bypass... My idea is to splice in a connection through the time clock, meaning, run wires from Line 1 to one end of the X10 switch and Load 1 to the Other, then Line 2 and Load 2 to the other pole of the switch ... I have no doubt this will actually work, however, what I am wondering is if I will create a short to power if the X10 is commanded on while the time clock is on ...

Has anyone attempted this .. I am open to other suggestions, however, I am not sure that I want to spend a boat load of money to a complete home automation system ...

Thx!

What you are describing is exactly what my neighbor has as a bypass circuit to operate the spa. It powers the pump through a bypass of the time clock to run the spa regardless of whether the pump is powered by the timer or not, and is controlled by an X10. This system was setup by the pool builder 10 years ago, when new.

Since the pump is 220v you can't use a standard 110 switch. You also must use care in wiring that you keep each phase correctly wired. You certainly don't want to get them mixed up anywhere or you'll have a dead short. Also since there are two potential power sources there are safety warning stickers everywhere on his equipment.

I currently have a separate disconnect switch that is right before the pump that will remain in place ... It's an argument that I won with my last servicing company ... I described that a disconnect must be within an arms reach of the pump .. If something goes wrong while working on the pump, I sure don't want to be fumbling with the time clock box to disconnect the power! ...

If I'm understanding this correctly, as long as I keep Line 1 wired to the same pole as Load 1 and Line 2 wired to the same pole as Load 2 I should not create a short to power anywhere, even if the time clock is in the on position and X10 gets switched on .. My idea is to wire the double pole X10 switch between Line 1 and Line 2, to Load 1 and Load 2 respectively ... Is this how your neighbor did it?

As long as you are creating two parallel paths it should make no difference if either or both are on, then the pump is running. Only when both are off is there no power to the pump. That's the reason for warning stickers. Someone can find out the hard way that there is power on the load side of a switch that is in the off position. His picks up power from the hot side of the timer runs it through the X10 switch (keeping the correct sides of the circuit separated) and returns it to the load side of the timer. That means when the X10 is activated the timer is bypassed and current flows to the pump. But it also means when the timer is on there is power on both sides of the X10 switch.

If you have any doubts about how to wire it, I would suggest an electrician.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.