Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how does lack of circulation affect testing?

1. Back To Top    #1

how does lack of circulation affect testing?

So, my 4 month old pump just hums at the moment. It's a 2 speed, we normally only run it on HIGH when cleaning, the rest of the time it stays on LOW - 24/7 (skimmer purposes mostly).

We're still using the pool (still in the 90s here this week).

My question is - without any circulation - how does that affect my tests for FC?

and related - how does the lack of circulation affect things when I add bleach?

I know - dumb questions - but was just testing the pool and started wondering if my tests are even going to be accurate
    AG 24' round
    pentair sand filter SD-60
    Hayward SP15922S - 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how does lack of circulation affect testing?

If your pump isn't currently operational, go ahead and brush your pool to circulate the water. You need to keep your FC at its normal level or perhaps a touch higher to assure that the water is well chlorinated. Swimming will help keep things mixed up and brushing at least once a day with your liquid chlorine additions should protect you somewhat from algae taking hold.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

When you pour the chlorine into the pool it will want to stay in one area. By running the pump this will spread the chlorine out to the entire pool and mix it entirely. If you cannot run the pump for any reason when testing manually brushing the water will also mix the chlorine throughout the entire pool, not just in one area. If you test without mixing the water well after adding chlorine you will likely have false results. Your chlorine level will be high in the area you added while slightly low in other areas the chlorine wasn't spread towards. The same mindset happens when trying to maintain your pool. Areas that are low in chlorine may get a small area of algae growing on the walls due to lack of chlorine in that area. Again, both can be overcome for a short while by brushing well.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might find a hydrodynamic brush worthwhile. I have a SweepEase that features a "scoop" along the top edge that moves a considerable amount of water for its size. The intention is to push the brush against surfaces as you push it fwd, but the secondary benefit is more water movement than a traditional brush.

The Wall Whale is a more dramatic version of the same idea.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

All good advice above.

Your number one priority should be to fix that pump ASAP!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Why do you need to skimmer your pool 24/7?.
    Also what everyone else said.

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I put a submersible sump pump I had in there for some temporary circulation - only moves about 500 GPH but better than nothing I think.

Still waiting to hear back from Hayward on the warranty procedures.

The pool sits close to several trees and crepe myrtles so a constant source of leaves/debris any time the wind blows which is often, thus we just skim it 24/7.
    AG 24' round

8. Back To Top    #8

Remember that your filter has sat for how long with no fresh source of chlorine in it because the pump is not pulling any in.

There might be an algae farm going on in there now. Just be ready when you start it back up, you might want to do a SLAM just to be safe.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Remember that your filter has sat for how long with no fresh source of chlorine in it because the pump is not pulling any in.

There might be an algae farm going on in there now. Just be ready when you start it back up, you might want to do a SLAM just to be safe.

Good point! it's only been 24 hours so far, but I may pop the top on that thing and add a gallon of bleach just to be on the safe side

No word yet from Hayward, so it may be a week or more before we're operational again
    AG 24' round

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I put a submersible sump pump I had in there for some temporary circulation - only moves about 500 GPH but better than nothing I think.

Still waiting to hear back from Hayward on the warranty procedures.

The pool sits close to several trees and crepe myrtles so a constant source of leaves/debris any time the wind blows which is often, thus we just skim it 24/7.
    I understand about the trees etc...why dont you look into o e of those solar powered surface skimmers so you don't have to run pump all the time

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

11. Back To Top    #11

The solar breeze pool surface cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post

I believe that a lack of sunlight would keep the algae from blooming in the filter for a short while. If you do decide to open it up and add bleach, don't over do it, it will just shorten the life of everything in there (seals, orings, etc).
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I cant see your signature from my phone but if the filter is a cartridge, i would take it out and clean it and not put it back in until pump is fixed

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Sometimes the pump can be fixed as easily as replacing the start capacitor. There are several videos on you tube and the part is readily available if you are at all handy. If not, I would get an electrician to see if you can get it to run, then fight with Hayward to pay for it but your pool will be saved from turning into a mess.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Sometimes the pump can be fixed as easily as replacing the start capacitor. There are several videos on you tube and the part is readily available if you are at all handy. If not, I would get an electrician to see if you can get it to run, then fight with Hayward to pay for it but your pool will be saved from turning into a mess.
    I have considered tearing into it - but it's 4 months old with a 12 month warranty. The pump it replaced was a rebuilt from a place in Phoenix - lasted 6 years - this brand new hayward lasted 4 months lol
    AG 24' round

16. Back To Top    #16

Hayward is sending out a replacement, so just waiting on shipping now.

Thank you again to everyone who replied about this issue.
    AG 24' round

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by rmturner54 View Post
    I understand about the trees etc...why dont you look into o e of those solar powered surface skimmers so you don't have to run pump all the time
    Excuse my interruption concerning this discussion, but what is wrong with running a 2 stage pump 24/7? If you are running it on low, the cost is around $10/month to run 24/7. So I cannot see expense being the problem. Just curious.
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

18. Back To Top    #18

Personal preference i guess and extra wear on equipment